J. Andrew S. Binkley
Andrew Binkley joined Ropes & Gray in 2010 as an associate. He practices primarily in the firm’s Intellectual Property Litigation Group. Andrew has experience assessing patent infringement and invalidity, drafting pleadings, and supervising electronic discovery. Before joining Ropes, Andrew clerked at the Federal Court of Appeal of Canada, where he worked on several patent and copyright appeals. Andrew has also prosecuted regulatory offences on behalf of the City of Toronto.
Andrew has an engineering degree in Engineering Science, with a specialization in nano-engineering. This interdisciplinary program provided him with a technical background in Electrical and Computer Engineering, Materials Engineering, Chemistry and Biology. Additionally, Andrew has worked as a researcher in a molecular biology laboratory, a geophysics laboratory and a numerical analysis laboratory, all at the University of Toronto. Andrew has experience programming in C, C++ and Java.
Andrew’s pro bono work focuses on advising local Boston not-for-profits on intellectual property and technology matters. In one instance, he negotiated the return of a website to his client without payment to the other party.
- Smart Memory Solutions LLC v. Fujitsu Semiconductor Limited et al. (D. Del.) 1:11-cv-00680-LPS; Representing Fujitsu Semiconductor America and Fujitsu Semiconductor Limited in patent infringement litigation involving flash memory technology.
- Advanced Data Access LLC v. Fujitsu Semiconductor Limited et al. (E.D. Tex.) 6:11-cv-00614-LED-JDL; Representing Fujitsu Semiconductor America and Fujitsu Semiconductor Limited in patent infringement litigation involving RAM technology.
- Obtaining a favorable patent license for a major Japanese electronic component manufacturer in a contentious licensing dispute.
- Hiroyuki Hagiwara, Andrew Binkley, Henry Huang and Han Xu, “2012 Year-in-Review: Important U.S. Patent Law Developments,” Bloomberg BNA’s Patent, Trademark & Copyright Journal (January 4, 2013)
- Hiroyuki Hagiwara, Andrew Binkley, Henry Huang and Han Xu, "2011 Year-In-Review—Important U.S. Patent Law Developments," IP Bloomberg Law Report (January 2012)
- "Improving the Effectiveness of Transfer Payment Programs on Canadian Reserves: Lessons from International Aid," 7:2 Indigenous Law Journal 123 (2009)
- Presenter, "Tokyo Morning Briefing: Year 2012 in Review: Developments in U.S. Patent Litigation," (January 23, 2013)
- Co-speaker, "Year 2011 in Review Developments in US Patent Litigation,” Ropes & Gray Tokyo Morning Briefing (January 2012)
- Comparative Recommendations for Designing Efficient Waste Systems, the Wealth Without Waste Forum (February 2009)