Michelle Moran is an investment management partner in Ropes & Gray’s London office.
Michelle focuses on advising European and U.S. clients on the establishment, authorisation and management of all types of retail and institutional investment funds domiciled in the UK, Ireland, Luxembourg and Jersey including UCITS, ICVCs, investment trusts, hedge funds, real estate funds and segregated institutional portfolios. She has experience advising on a wide variety of transactions relating to investment managers, brokers, custodians, fund service providers and operating platforms.
Michelle has participated on EU Commission Working Groups responsible for putting together proposals for change to UCITS legislation playing a leading role in the introduction of the Key Investor Information Document as part of the suite of UCITS IV reforms.
She was a Panel Member of the Expert Liaison Group and the Investment Bank Advisory Panel both formed by HM Treasury to advise on desired policy and legislative change prompted by the financial crisis. These groups focused principally on the drafting of the Banking Act 2009, related secondary legislation and client asset law and regulation.
ExperienceRepresentative Clients and Matters prior to joining the firm include:
- Acting for Goldman Sachs Mutual Funds on the global roll out of the Key Investor Information Documentation for its Irish and Luxembourg UCITS fund range.
- Acting as fund counsel to Calamos Global Funds, advising on regulatory and product related issues, as well as the distribution of those funds across Europe and Asia.
- Acting for Cohen & Steers in relation to its Irish UCITS fund and advising on European cross border issues.
- Advising Baillie Gifford on the distribution of its Irish UCITS range in Europe and Asia.
- Advising large sovereign wealth institutions and pension funds on high value and complex cross border segregated mandates and investments in regulated European retail and institutional funds.
- Advising promoters, funds and service providers on the impact of MiFID, UCITS IV and AIFMD with particular focus on challenging areas such as cross border mergers and remuneration.
- Advising buy side and sell side regulated financial institutions on UK and Irish regulatory issues which has included detailed examinations of practices and procedures and managing regulatory relationships with the Financial Conduct Authority, the UK Listing Authority, AIM, the Takeover Panel, the Central Bank of Ireland and other regulators around the world.
DisclaimerRopes & Gray International LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in Delaware, United States of America and is a recognised body regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (with registered number 52100).
- UK Legal 500 (2014)
- Co-author, “EMIR reporting – Further Reporting Obligations Apply in August 2014,” Thomson Reuters’ Derivatives: Financial Products Report (July 2014)
- Quoted, “Ropes & Gray Attorneys Discuss Implications for U.S. Hedge Fund Managers of the European Market Infrastructure Regulation,” The Hedge Fund Law Report (July 18, 2014)
- Co-author, “AIFMD Compliance: What Fund Managers Should Be Doing Now,” Law360 (July 11, 2014)