William M. Shields
Will Shields has been a partner in the Corporate Department since 2006. Will’s practice focuses on representing private equity firms and public and private companies in mergers and acquisitions, leveraged buyouts and other direct investments. Will also represents investment management firms in connection with strategic transactions including mergers and acquisitions, divestitures and restructurings. He has also worked with public and private companies providing general corporate law advice. Will regularly works with private equity sponsor clients such as Bain Capital, Kohlberg & Co. and TPG Capital and with other companies such as Affiliated Managers Group Inc., Aptalis Pharma Inc., CRC Health Group, Dunkin’ Brands, Packaging Dynamics and Michaels Stores.
- Represented Bain Capital in its $1 billion investment in Genpact, Ltd., a worldwide business process and technology management service provider.
- Represented TPG Capital in its $1.9 billion acquisition of Par Pharmaceuticals.
- Represented TPG Capital in its sale of Fenwal to Fresenius AG.
- Represented TPG Capital in its $1.9 billion tender offer for Immucor, Inc.
- Represented Axcan Pharma Inc. in its $579 million acquisition of Eurand N.V.
- Represented Bain Capital in teaming with Hellman & Friedman on the proposed $2.15 billion acquisition of Neuberger Berman and related asset management businesses of Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc.
- Represented Dunkin’ Brands, Inc in its $1.9 billion dividend recapitalization transaction.
- Represented Ashmore Group plc in its acquisition of Emerging Markets Management.
- Represented Affiliated Managers Group Inc. in its acquisition of Highbury Financial, the public company parent of Aston Asset Management.
- Represented Highland Capital in its fund adoption transaction with GE Asset Management.
- Represented Kohlberg & Co. in its acquisition of Phillips Plastics and add-on of Medisize Oy.
- Represented Kohlberg & Co. in its acquisition of Centerplate, Centerplate’s subsequent acquisitions of John Harvard’s Brew House Inc. and Boston Culinary Group and the sale of centerplate to Olympus Partners.
- Represented TPG Capital in its $1.3 billion acquisition of Axcan Pharma Inc. (now Aptalis).
- Legal 500 (2013-2014)
- Law360 - Private Equity MVP (2012-2013)
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business (2012-2014)
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers - Rising Stars (2006)
- Quoted, "Sponsor-Backed IPO Market On Fire; More Deals Queued," Buyouts (June 3, 2013)