Katherine Wang is a partner in our Life Sciences group. Widely regarded as a leading life sciences regulatory lawyer in China, Katherine assists pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and medical device companies on a wide range of matters, including early-stage discovery, product registration, pricing, reimbursement, clinical studies, promotional practices, and product safety issues. Katherine provides day-to-day counseling on issues that life sciences companies face in relation to their interaction with agencies including the China Food and Drug Administration (CFDA), the National Health & Family Planning Commission (NHFPC) and the Administrations of Industry and Commerce (AICs), among others. She also assists institutional investors and corporate clients in structuring transactions and conducting regulatory due diligence, including good laboratory practice (GLP), good clinical practice (GCP), good manufacturing practice (GMP) and pharmacovigilance, on investment targets and prospective business partners in China.
Before entering into private practice, Katherine served as the head of AstraZeneca’s legal department in the Asia-Pacific region. In this role, she advised on critical strategic and operational initiatives to ensure legal compliance and realization of business objectives. She was also responsible for cross-functional intellectual property enforcement and anti-counterfeiting efforts.
- Routinely advises foreign life sciences companies on their China entry strategies, particularly issues relating to the selection of regulatory pathways, availability for fast track approvals and regulatory exclusivities.
- Routinely represents multinational pharmaceutical and medical device companies in matters relating to their clinical studies in China, particularly concerning localization of clinical study agreement templates, CTAs, informed consent, waiver for registration studies, non-registration studies, importation of clinical study drugs, contract manufacturing of placebos, study insurance, privacy protection, dealings with CROs, research injuries, and dispute resolution.
- Assisted several multinational pharmaceutical companies in matters relating to the conduct of secondary medical research in China, e.g. collection, use, import and export of human biological samples, construction of biobanks through collaborations with Chinese hospitals, and radioactive labeling of human biological samples in China.
- Routinely advises multinational pharmaceutical and medical device companies on promotional practices, particularly off-label promotion, pre-approval communication and direct-to-patient communication.
- Advised several privately-owned medical device manufacturers headquartered in the US on the establishment of its green-field operation in China; assisted in navigating the regulatory approval terrain for medical device distribution and manufacturing licenses; assisted with registration strategies of made-in-China products.
- Advised several multinational pharmaceutical and medical device companies on issues associated with localization of product manufacturing in China.
- Advised several leading biopharmaceutical companies on biosimilar strategies in China.
- Advised several multinational pharmaceutical and medical device companies on market access issues in China, particularly related to pricing, reimbursement, and tendering.
- Counsel to several multinational pharmaceutical companies in the conduct of feasibility analyses of acquiring a pharmaceutical distribution company in China.
- Advised several multinational life sciences companies and investment funds on the general regulatory environment concerning OTCs, cosmetics (including medical aesthetics), dietary supplements, and veterinary drugs in China.
- Advised institutional and corporate investors in the conduct of regulatory due diligence on issues ranging from product registration, compliance with GLP/GCP/GMP, and pharmacovigilance/device safety of their potential investment targets in China.
- Chambers Asia: Asia's Leading Lawyers in life sciences (2011 - 2014)
- Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers for Business (2014)
- The International Who’s Who of Life Sciences Lawyers (2013 - 2014)
- Asian Legal Business’ Client Choice Top 20 Lawyers in China (2014)
- Chambers Legal Practice Guide: China Life Sciences (2015)
- PLC: Medical product regulation and product liability in China: overview (2015)
- Quoted, “Doctor on call: reformers dial-up dose of telemedicine,” China Pharma and Biotech Review (September 2014)
- Quoted, “China Wants “Made in China” Orthopedics,” Orthopedics This Week (September 2014)
- “Faster Reviews and New Incentives: China Contemplates Spurring Pediatric Drug Development,” Scrip Regulatory Affairs (July 2014)
- “Major Changes Come to China's Medical Device Industry”, Law360 (April 2014)
- Quoted, “The risks and opportunities for pharma under China’s new rules,” Scrip Regulatory Affairs (March 2014)
- “China Anti-Bribery Rules Raise Questions for Life Sciences”, Law360 (February 2014)
- “Multinational Pharmas: Expect Key Policy Shifts in China”, Law360 (December 2013)
- “China Offers New Possibilities for Drug License Transfers,” Update (May/June 2013)
- “Navigating China’s Regulatory Landscape for Commercial Success," Pharma (June 2013)
- “Pharma Cos., Scan Your Drugs for Proper Barcodes,”Law360 (February 2013)
- Speaker, "Riding the New Wave: How to Prepare Your Life Sciences Company for Compliance and Success in the Face of China's Recent Regulatory Changes," Ropes & Gray West Coast Lunchtime Legal Briefing Teleconference (January 2014)
- Moderator, "Medical Devices: How New Rules Will Impact Your Business," FDLI’s International Conference: China-US Updates in Food and Drug Law (October 2013)
- Speaker, "China Entry through Joint Ventures," China Forum 2013 (October 2013)
- Speaker, "Responding to Regulatory and Reimbursement Challenges to Pharma Sales and Marketing," China Pharmaceutical SFE & Marketing Excellence Conference (November 2013)
- Speaker and Moderator, "New Biosimilar Regulation: Challenges and Opportunities in China" and "Medical Device Innovation: From Bench to Bedside," DIA China Annual Meeting (May 2013)
- Speaker, "Stem Cells: Perspectives on Intellectual Property and Regulation," Ropes & Gray Tokyo Morning Briefing Teleconference (February 2013)
- Speaker, "Navigating China's Complicated Life Sciences Regulatory System for Commercial Success," Ropes & Gray West Coast Lunchtime Legal Briefing Teleconference (January 2013)