Christopher P. Conniff
Christopher Conniff represents clients in investigations and cases involving the full spectrum of white-collar criminal and regulatory matters. Drawing on his experience as both a federal prosecutor and a defense attorney, Chris has helped clients navigate a number of recent high-profile government investigations in the areas of insider trading, public corruption, False Claims Act, and FCPA violations. Chris also regularly advises pharmaceutical and medical device companies on a number of compliance-related issues and has conducted internal investigations in the United States and internationally. Chris also represents many of his clients in related civil litigations.
Prior to joining the firm, Chris spent six years as an Assistant United States Attorney in the Southern District of New York, where he successfully investigated and prosecuted multiple cases charging a wide array of federal offenses—including RICO, murder, embezzlement, money laundering, fraud, and tax evasion—and argued appeals before the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. While at the USAO, Chris led the team that prevailed in the highly publicized prosecution of more than 30 members and associates of the Gambino Organized Crime Family of La Cosa Nostra, including the Family’s Acting Boss and Underboss. He also served as lead trial counsel in the successful prosecution of the members of an international arms trafficking organization. Chris’s other significant cases included the prosecution of two founders of a publicly-traded payment services company charged with money laundering in connection with their transfer of billions of dollars from United States customers to overseas internet gambling companies.
- Represented private equity and venture capital firms in state and federal investigations of alleged “pay to play” activities at public pension funds.
- Representing a financial services firm in connection with the federal criminal investigation of insider trading through the use of “expert networks.”
- Defended a major medical device company in connection with alleged FCA claims, including obtaining a summary dismissal of a qui tam action filed in federal court in the Southern District of Texas.
- Advised an Eastern European investment firm in connection with an international securities fraud investigation.
- Conducted an overseas FCPA compliance review for a major pharmaceutical company.
- Defended a major pharmaceutical company in a wide-ranging criminal investigation into off-label promotion and fraudulent marketing.
- Expert Guides’ Guide to the World’s Leading White Collar Crime Lawyers (2014)
- New York Super Lawyers (2013)
- Christopher Conniff, Steven Goldschmidt and Helen Gugel, “Sentencing Guidelines for Insider Trading: Recent Amendments Create Greater Disparity,” Federal Sentencing Reporter (October 2013)
- Christopher Conniff, James Dowden and Brendon Carrington, "Insider Trading Sentences Get Extra Bite," Compliance Reporter (May 2012)
- Stephen Braga, Christopher Conniff and Mark S. Popofsky, “The Anticorruption and Antitrust Interface,” Competition Policy International (February 2012)
- Presenter, “The Civil Frauds Enforcement Landscape: Recent Developments and Trends,” New York City Bar Association (March 2012)
- Presenter, “Keeping Out of Trouble: Lessons Learned from Recent Securities Cases,” Foundation For Accounting Education Investment Companies Conference (November 2010)