Edward G. Black
Ed Black is a head of Ropes & Gray’s intellectual property transactions group and co-head of the technology, media & telecommunications group. He joined the firm after practicing in the areas of technology management, intellectual property, and media in San Francisco, the Silicon Valley and in Boston.
He represents companies and investors in the creation and management of intellectual assets in ways that optimize value return to the sponsors through various means, including best practice rights management, licensing, co-venturing, asset sale or debt based financing, holding company strategies, and other arrangements. Ed’s clients include technology companies, branded product companies, investment managers, media organizations, as well as companies and private equity organizations that acquire or invest in these businesses.
Ed remains active with a number of trade and professional associations where he is also a speaker on intellectual property, media, technology, and the operation of businesses built around proprietary rights.
- Best Lawyers in America (2013-2014)
- Managing IP – “IP Star” (2013)
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business (2011-2013)
- IAM Patent 1000 – The World's Leading Patent Practitioners (2012-2013)
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers (2013)
- James M. Wilton, Edward Black, Patrick Diaz and Stephen Moeller-Sally, "Tackling Rights Of Trademark Licensees In Bankruptcy," Law360 (September 20, 2012)
- Ed Black discussed the growing importance of intellectual property in valuations and transactions in a December 2011 Merger Market webinar in association with IntraLinks. To see the highlights of his presentation, please click here.