Garin T. Muranaka
Garin joined the firm in 2011 and is an associate practicing in Ropes & Gray’s real estate investments & transactions group. He has represented investors, developers, banks and other financial institutions in connection with a wide variety of commercial real estate transactions, including preferred equity investments, construction, permanent and mezzanine financing, acquisitions and land use matters. Garin has represented investors in joint venture and limited partnership transactions to acquire or develop properties. He also has experience in the areas of loan and equity investment restructuring, structured finance and private real estate-secured bond financings.
- Representation of PIMCO on matters relating to the ongoing operations and administration of PIMCO sponsored and advised private investment funds and hedge funds and separate accounts with respect to real estate investments, including the acquisition, disposition and ongoing evaluation of investments in commercial and residential, performing and distressed, real estate loans.
- Representation of Harvard Management Company, the investment adviser for the Harvard University endowment, in negotiating and structuring real estate investments through joint ventures, funds, co-investment and management arrangements with sponsors, operators and managers, including the acquisition of a portfolio of over 30 properties for over $370 million.
- Representation of the distressed investment division of one of the largest private equity firms in acquisitions of individual and pooled non-performing loans.
- Representation of one of the largest private equity firms in the negotiation of joint ventures with operating partners and co-investors for the acquisition of real estate, including the acquisition of a Class A office campus in Southern California for approximately $50 million.
- Representation of a preeminent global hedge fund in the negotiation of joint ventures with operating partners and related acquisitions of real estate and real estate related debt, including the acquisition and financing of a 1+ acre site in New York City to be developed into a multi-tower condominium development requiring approximately $600 million in combined capital.
- Regularly represents a collection of publicly-traded REITs including a series of acquisitions of commercial, medical and government office buildings across the U.S.
- Walter R. McCabe III and Garin Muranaka, “Playing On the World Stage; Cross-Border Real Estate Investing,” Inside the Minds: Navigating Cross-Border Real Estate Matters (October 2013)
- David Djaha, Laurie Nelson, and Garin Muranaka, “Primer for High Net Worth Individuals Buying Real Estate in NY,” Asian Real Estate Association of America Journal (Spring 2012)