George B. Raine
George is well-versed on the complex regulatory and transactional issues faced by participants in the investment management industry. His practice includes the representation of U.S. and non-U.S. investment advisers, open- and closed-end investment companies and their trustees, hedge funds and other private investment pools, and broker-dealers.
George joined the firm in 2005, having begun his career in the New York and Frankfurt offices of an international law firm based in New York.
- Organization and initial offering of a new registered investment company for Allianz Global Investors, with the launch of over 20 new funds in a two-year span, followed by several fund mergers, redomicilings and liquidations.
- Several protracted proxy contests on behalf of closed-end funds managed by Putnam Investments and Deutsche Asset Management, including the negotiation of settlement arrangements with insurgent shareholders.
- Ongoing regulatory advice and compliance reviews with regard to investment management operations, as well as ongoing representation of privately placed registered investment companies, for Baillie Gifford Overseas Limited and Martin Curie Investment Management.
- Organization and ongoing advice with regard to the launch and offering of onshore and offshore hedge funds for asset managers that include Martin Currie and Standard Life Investments.
- Advice with regard to investment adviser registration, related Dodd-Frank Act requirements, and global distribution questions (including broker-dealer registration) for non-U.S. asset managers, including several Natixis affiliates, Standard Life Investments and Pyrford International Ltd.
- Independent trustee counsel to the Green Century Funds, a complex of environmentally responsible mutual funds.
- Richard D. Marshall, R. Daniel O'Connor, George B. Raine and Jacob E. Comer, "A Proactive And Analytical Approach To Enforcement," Law360 (December 2011)
- Co-author, "Proxy Voting: U.S. Issues," in Investment Management: Law and Practice, ed. by Timothy Spangler (Oxford Univ. Press, 2009).
- Co-author, "Best Execution and Customer Order Handling," in Broker-Dealer Regulation, ed. by Clifford E. Kirsch (Practicing Law Institute, 2004-2010).