James T. Lidbury
PartnerJim Lidbury is a partner of Ropes & Gray LLP and a Registered Foreign Lawyer in Hong Kong. He has been co-head of the firm’s global Mergers & Acquisitions practice since 2012. He has been resident in the firm’s Hong Kong office since 2013. He was the managing partner of the firm’s Chicago office from 2008 until 2013. Jim works with clients in all aspects of complex M&A, LBO and corporate governance situations.
Represented Symmetry Medical Inc. in the spin-off of its Symmetry Surgical business and US$450 million sale of its OEM Solutions business to Tecomet Inc., a portfolio company of Genstar Capital.
- Represented The Blackstone Group in the US$625 million take-private of China-based, NASDAQ-listed Pactera Technology International Ltd.
- Represented The Blackstone Group in the acquisition of China-based Suzhou Xinrong-Best Medical Instrument Co., Ltd.
- Advised the Special Committee of Independent Directors of China-based, NASDAQ-listed ChinaEdu Corp. in connection with its privatization by members of the company’s management and McGraw-Hill Education.
- Advised TPG Growth in connection with the sale of Schiff Nutritional International Inc. to Reckitt Benckiser Group for US$1.4 billion.
- Represented Gentex Corporation in the US$700 million acquisition of the HomeLink® business from Johnson Controls, Inc.
- Represented Berkshire Partners and Greenbriar Equity Group in the sale of Electro-Motive Diesel to Caterpillar, Inc. for US$820 million.
- Represented Cressey & Co. in its acquisition of Unitek Information Systems, Inc.
- Represented Cressey & Co. in its acquisition of Strategic Healthcare Programs LLC.
- Represented Cressey & Co. in its acquisition of VetCor Professional Practices LLC.
- Legal 500 (2013-2014)
- The Best Lawyers in America, Mergers & Acquisitions
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business (2012-2013)
- Illinois Super Lawyer
- BTI Consulting Inc., 2008 Super All-Star Team
- Global Counsel 3000, Chicago’s 25 leading corporate transactional attorneys
- James T. Lidbury and James C. Davis, “Earn-out obligations and defence costs,” International Law Office (ILO) (March 12, 2014)
- James T. Lidbury and James C. Davis, “Weak fairness opinion not an independent violation of Revlon duties,” International Law Office (ILO) (March 5, 2014)
- James T. Lidbury, Carl P. Marcellino and Christina Bergeron, “’Liquidity conflict’ rejected; 28% stockholder was not controlling stockholder,” International Law Office (ILO) (January 15, 2014)
- James T. Lidbury, Marko S. Zatylny and James C. Davis, “Fair price can trump unfair process,” International Law Office (ILO) January 15, 2014)
- James T. Lidbury and Jane D. Goldstein, “Process makes perfect,” International Law Office (ILO) (November 13, 2013)
- James T. Lidbury and Christian J. Westra, “The limits of Revlon,” International Law Office (ILO) (November 13, 2013)
- James T. Lidbury and Jason Freedman, “The unconflicted board and Revlon duties,” International Law Office (ILO) (November 6, 2013)
- Quoted, “Law Firm Ropes & Gray Relocates M&A Co-Head to Asia,” The Wall Street Journal (November 1, 2013)
- Quoted, “Court favors private equity in steakhouse fight,” Fortune (August 21, 2013)