Kendi E. Ozmon
Kendi focuses her practice on representing tax-exempt organizations, including colleges, universities, health care and educational organizations and corporate and family foundations. Her work includes advice on forming and dissolving tax-exempt organizations, IRS examinations, business ventures between non-profit and for-profit organizations, conflicts of interest, executive compensation and charitable giving. Kendi works regularly with the firm’s Health Care Group to address tax issues for our non-profit hospital and academic medical center clients.
- Advised three leading universities in audits being conducted as part of IRS college and university compliance initiative.
- Advised nonprofit organization on comprehensive two-year IRS audit, concluded with no taxes or penalties assessed.
- Secured abatement of over $2.1 million in penalties and interest for university client through working with IRS.
- Advise on tax aspects of restructuring non-profit health care organizations, including mergers, membership substitutions and creation of integrated health care systems.
- Advise on compensation matters unique to tax-exempt organizations, including compliance with IRS “intermediate sanctions” rules.
- Work with for-profit clients to develop efficient structures for their philanthropic efforts.
- Advise non-profit organizations on compliance with IRS tax filings, with special emphasis on the Form 990.
- The Best Lawyers in America (2009-2014)