Kristin G. Ali
Kristin’s practice focuses on complex business and commercial disputes, including data privacy matters, securities enforcement, and consumer class actions. Kristin has extensive experience conducting internal investigations and representing clients in inquiries by the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Federal Trade Commission, and various Attorney General Offices. Kristin maintains an active pro bono practice, including successful representations in asylum and Eighth Amendment matters.
- Martin Currie Investment Management. Advised Martin Currie in connection with SEC investigation regarding a potential conflict of interest in a 2009 investment in a private Chinese company.
- State Street Global Advisors. Represented State Street in ERISA and securities litigation arising from subprime mortgage exposure in their mutual funds and unregistered collective trust funds.
- Carter’s Inc. Represented Carter’s in SEC investigation related to the company’s reporting of margin support payments to wholesale customers in allegedly incorrect financial periods.
Data Privacy and Security
- Nationwide. Represents Nationwide in class action litigation arising from the criminal cyber-attack on a certain portion of Nationwide’s computer network during October 2012.
- Sony. Represents various Sony entities in investigating the data security breaches announced in 2011.
- Wyndham Hotels & Resorts. Represents Wyndham in defense of FTC enforcement action stemming from data security breaches suffered by certain of the Wyndham-branded hotels in 2008-2010.
- Heartland Payment Systems. Represented Heartland in the FTC investigation stemming from the data security breach announced by Heartland in 2009.
- Court-appointed trial counsel in a federal civil rights action challenging the adequacy of medical care provided by the Massachusetts Department of Correction.
- Obtained political asylum for a Cameroonian man persecuted for his opposition to the government’s treatment of linguistic minorities.
- Contributing author to book, "Electronic Discovery: New Ideas, Trends, Case Law, and Practices," Ralph Losey, West Thomson, (2010).
- Kristin Ali, "Defining the Standard of Prenatal Care: An Analysis of Legislative and Judicial Responses," McGill Journal of Law and Health, Volume 1 (2007).