Mariel’s practice encompasses all types of civil litigation at both the trial and appellate levels, including complex business litigation, intellectual property disputes and antitrust and unfair competition cases. She has particular experience in trademark and false advertising matters. Mariel has represented clients in federal and state courts, arbitration tribunals, and administrative proceedings, including before the Federal Trade Commission and the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. She also has experience arguing in federal appeals court.
An active member of the firm’s Social Media Group, Mariel also routinely advises clients on social media issues as well as brand protection strategies and online intellectual property infringement issues.
Mariel has an active and varied pro bono practice, representing clients in matters ranging from criminal appeals to First Amendment challenges.
- Wollschlaeger v. Farmer: Represents three national medical organizations and six physicians in First Amendment challenge to Florida law that prevented doctors from speaking freely with patients about gun safety, both in successful district court action and on appeal.
- TRIA Beauty v. Radiancy, Inc.: Represented an FDA-regulated medical device manufacturer in a false advertising lawsuit brought against an unregulated competitor.
- Comité Interprofessionnel du Vin de Champagne: Represents the trade association for grape growers and houses of Champagne, France, advising on trademark issues and representing the CIVC in proceedings with the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
- YSL Beauté v. Oscar de la Renta, Ltd.: Represented an international fashion house in a successful year-long international arbitration over termination of the client’s global trademark license agreement for fragrances and cosmetics.
- Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers (2014)
- Author, “Social Media Evidence in Civil Litigation,” American Bar Association Section of Litigation, Trial Evidence Committee newsletter, Summer 2013, Vol. 21, No. 2 (August 2013)
- Quoted, “First Amendment Rights of Doctors at Issue In Appeal Over State Gun Owners Privacy Law,” Bloomberg BNA’s Health Law Reporter (January 17, 2013)
- Co-author, “Ten Things You Need to Know About Social Media and Intellectual Property in 2013,” Bloomberg BNA Social Media Law & Policy Report (January 8, 2013); Bloomberg BNA Patent, Trademark & Copyright Journal (January 25, 2013)