Mariel’s practice encompasses all types of civil litigation, including complex business litigation, intellectual property disputes and antitrust matters. She has particular experience in trademark and false advertising matters. Mariel has represented clients in federal and state courts, arbitration tribunals, and administrative proceedings, including before the Federal Trade Commission and the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
An active member of the firm’s Social Media Group, she also routinely advises clients on social media issues as well as brand protection strategies, privacy matters, and online piracy and infringement issues.
Mariel has an active and varied pro bono practice, representing clients in matters ranging from criminal appeals to First Amendment challenges.
- TRIA Beauty v. Radiancy, Inc.: Represented an FDA-regulated medical device manufacturer in a pending false advertising lawsuit brought against an unregulated competitor.
- Comité Interprofessionnel du Vin de Champagne: Represents the trade association for grape growers and houses of Champagne, France, advising on trademark issues and representing the CIVC in proceedings with the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
- YSL Beauté v. Oscar de la Renta, Ltd.: Represented an international fashion house in a successful year-long international arbitration over termination of the client’s global trademark license agreement for fragrances and cosmetics.
- Wollschlaeger v. Farmer: Represented three national medical organizations and six physicians in successful First Amendment challenge to Florida law that prevented doctors from speaking freely with patients about gun safety.
- Quoted, “First Amendment Rights of Doctors at Issue In Appeal Over State Gun Owners Privacy Law,” Bloomberg BNA’s Health Law Reporter (January 17, 2013)
- Co-author, “Ten Things You Need to Know About Social Media and Intellectual Property in 2013,” Bloomberg BNA Social Media Law & Policy Report (January 8, 2013); Bloomberg BNA Patent, Trademark & Copyright Journal (January 25, 2013)