Megan R. Baca
Megan advises a wide range of public and private companies, investors, and universities in a variety of transactions involving corporate and intellectual property matters, including technology licensing and transfer, product development collaborations, joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, supply arrangements, distribution and co-promotion arrangements, outsourcing transactions, and other strategic commercial agreements. Megan also represents venture-backed companies in financings and ongoing matters.
Megan works with companies in a broad range of industries including technology, software, branded products, media, pharmaceutical, biotechnology, medical device, and finance.
- Represented Ironwood Pharmaceuticals in developing and implementing its worldwide licensing strategy for linaclotide, including licensing linaclotide to Forest Laboratories, Laboratorios Almirall and Astellas Pharma with aggregate upfront payments of $140 million.
- Represented Genzyme Corporation in connection with its divestiture of three non-core business units, including the sale of its Genzyme Genetics business unit to Laboratory Corporation of America for $925 million
- Represented Pfizer in connection with the outsourcing of its post-proof of concept clinical trial management function to Parexel International, Inc. and Icon Clinical Research Limited.
- Represented Zynga in its acquisition of various online gaming companies.
- Represented a major pharmacy benefits manager in renegotiation of a troubled, mission-critical IT outsourcing relationship and subsequent RFP for and negotiation of a successful replacement IT outsourcing relationship.
- Represented a luxury product company in the strategic commercialization of its IP assets and portfolio structuring.
- Represented an advertising agency on corporate and commercial matters, including legal review and clearance of advertising material.
- Co-author, "Federal Trade Commission and National Advertising Division Social Media Enforcement: Likes, Like-Gated Offers, and Other Traps for the Unwary," Bloomberg BNA Social Media Law & Policy Report (August 2013)
- Co-author, “Right of Publicity Laws: Massachusetts,” Practical Law Company (March 2012)
- Speaker, "Social Media, Ethics & Other Things Or How to Like the Law Without Losing Your Head in the Cloud," West Coast Lunchtime Legal Briefing Teleconference - Special Ethics Edition (January 2014)
- Speaker, "Social Media Enforcement: FDA, FTC, and National Advertising Division Case Studies and Practical Advice," Bloomberg BNA Webinar (September 2013)
- Speaker, "Social Media Enforcement: FDA, FTC, and National Advertising Division Case Studies and Practical Advice for Handling an Investigation or Enforcement Action," Ropes & Gray West Coast Lunchtime Legal Briefing Teleconference (May 2013)