Megan R. Baca
Megan is a corporate associate in Ropes & Gray’s technology group. Megan advises a wide range of public and private companies, investors, and universities in transactions where technology or IP assets are the key drivers, including licensing and transfer, product development collaborations, joint ventures, supply arrangements, distribution and co-promotion arrangements, outsourcing transactions, and other strategic relationships. Megan also represents private equity companies in technology-focused mergers and acquisitions and venture-backed companies in financings and ongoing matters. Megan is a certified privacy professional, CIPP/US and advises clients on data privacy and security issues.
With a background in computer science, Megan works with companies in a broad range of industries including technology, software, branded products, media, pharmaceutical, biotechnology, medical device, and finance.
Intellectual Property Licensing
- Represented Mersana Therapeutics in its collaborations with Endo Pharmaceuticals, Adimab LLC., Takeda Pharmaceuticals and Merck KGaA.
- Represented Ironwood Pharmaceuticals in developing and implementing its worldwide licensing strategy for linaclotide, including licensing linaclotide to Forest Laboratories, Laboratorios Almirall and Astellas Pharma with aggregate upfront payments of $140 million.
- Represented a global children’s clothing company in implementing domestic and international licensing, distribution, supply and joint venture relationships.
- Represented a cosmetic device company in developing licensing and co-branding relationships in South Korea.
Strategy and Structuring
- Represented a major university in a joint venture with various hospital systems and accountable care organizations to create a data-driven platform for analyzing clinical outcomes.
- Represented a major pharmacy benefits manager in renegotiation of a troubled, mission-critical IT outsourcing relationship and subsequent RFP for and negotiation of a successful replacement IT outsourcing relationship.
- Represented a luxury product company in the strategic commercialization of its IP assets and portfolio structuring.
- Represented Pfizer in connection with the outsourcing of its post-proof of concept clinical trial management function to Parexel International, Inc. and Icon Clinical Research Limited.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Representing TPG Capital portfolio company Decision Insight Information Group, a provider of information, infrastructure, decision support products and services for financial and legal professionals, in its $661 million sale of Marshall & Swift/Boeckh, LLC, DataQuick Information Systems, Inc. and the Credit and Flood Services.
- Represented Zynga in its acquisition of various online gaming companies.
- Represented Genzyme Corporation in connection with its divestiture of three non-core business units, including the sale of its Genzyme Genetics business unit to Laboratory Corporation of America for $925 million
- Represented an advertising agency on corporate and commercial matters, including legal review and clearance of advertising material.
- Advised Pfizer on developing social media best practices and privacy policies.
- Co-author, "Federal Trade Commission and National Advertising Division Social Media Enforcement: Likes, Like-Gated Offers, and Other Traps for the Unwary," Bloomberg BNA Social Media Law & Policy Report (August 2013)
- Co-author, “Right of Publicity Laws: Massachusetts,” Practical Law Company (March 2012)
- Speaker, "Social Media, Ethics & Other Things Or How to Like the Law Without Losing Your Head in the Cloud," West Coast Lunchtime Legal Briefing Teleconference - Special Ethics Edition (January 2014)
- Speaker, "Social Media Enforcement: FDA, FTC, and National Advertising Division Case Studies and Practical Advice," Bloomberg BNA Webinar (September 2013)
- Speaker, "Social Media Enforcement: FDA, FTC, and National Advertising Division Case Studies and Practical Advice for Handling an Investigation or Enforcement Action," Ropes & Gray West Coast Lunchtime Legal Briefing Teleconference (May 2013)