Nathaniel K. Kurtis
Nate advises a wide range of public and private companies, investors, and universities in a variety of transactions involving corporate and intellectual property matters, including technology licensing and transfer, product development collaborations, joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, research-related agreements, supply arrangements, distribution and co-promotion arrangements, outsourcing transactions, and other strategic commercial transactions.
Nate works with companies in a broad range of industries including technology, software, retail and branded products, media, pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, medical devices, and finance.
Nate joined the firm in 2010 following a year-long fellowship with the Belin Economic Justice Project of the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law of the Boston Bar Association.
- Represented Broad Institute and Massachusetts General Hospital in a strategic collaboration with Amgen to jointly discover and validate new therapeutic targets and develop novel therapies for inflammatory bowel disease. The project will include collection and analysis of DNA samples in an effort to identify and further validate genetic targets, biological assays to probe gene function, and subsequent drug discovery and development activities.
- Represented Broad Institute in a strategic alliance with Bayer Healthcare to discover and develop therapeutic agents that target cancer genome alterations.
- Represented Foundation Medicine in connection with its supply, service and support agreement with Illumina Inc., a supplier of gene sequencing equipment.
- Represented Becton Dickinson in connection with a product development and commercialization arrangement with a small biotechnology company.
- David M. McIntosh, James S. DeGraw, Nathaniel K. Kurtis and Julie D. Polovina, "Meso Scale v. Roche Rethinks Reverse Triangular Mergers," Law360 (March 21, 2013)
- Speaker, “Free Basic Legal Consideration Workshop for Small Businesses,” Asian American Civic Association (May 21, 2014)
- Presenter, “License Agreements in Reverse Triangular Mergers: Meso Scale and Current M&A Practice,” Boston Bar Association (May 17, 2012)
- Presenter, “Fair Use in U.S. Copyright Law & Open Source Software,” University of New Hampshire, Innovation Catalyst Seminar Series (February 23, 2012)