R. Newcomb Stillwell
Newcomb Stillwell is co-managing partner of Ropes & Gray’s Boston office and chair of the office managing partner committee. He principally represents large private equity firms in mergers and acquisitions.
Newcomb has been deeply involved in Ropes & Gray’s private equity practice since its inception in the early 80’s and served as the first chair of the Private Equity Group. He has represented Bain Capital since 1992, advising them on multiple transactions of all kinds. His other current major clients include TPG and The Blackstone Group.
- Represented Bain Capital in its acquisition of Blackhawk Specialty Tools, LLC, an oil and gas services company focused on cementing and well construction.
- Represented Bain Capital in its $1 billion acquisition of Genpact Ltd., a worldwide business process and technology management service provider.
- Represented The Blackstone Group in its $3 billion acquisition of Emdeon Inc., a payment cycle management solutions company.
- Represented TPG in its investment in Saxo Bank, a Danish investment firm.
- Represented Bain Capital in its $1.8 billion acquisition of Gymboree Corporation, a leading American children’s apparel and accessories retailer.
- Represents TPG in its $1.6 billion acquisition with Goldman Sachs of Ontex NV, a leading provider of consumer brands.
- Represented Bain Capital in its $1.1 billion acquisition of Bellsystem24, the leading call center operator in Japan.
- Represented Bain Capital and The Blackstone Group in their multi-billion acquisition, together with NBC Universal, of the Weather Channel.
- Represented TPG Capital in its $1.3 billion acquisition of Canadian specialty pharmaceutical company, Axcan Pharma, Inc.
- IFLR1000: The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms, Leading Lawyer (2014)
- “Dealmaker of the Year,” Finance Monthly (2012)
- “Dealmaker of the Week,” The American Lawyer (2011)
- The Best Lawyers in America (2006-2014)
- IFLR 1000: The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms (2013)
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business (2004-2013)
- Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business (2011-2014)
- PLC Which Lawyer (2010-2012)
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers (2007-2013)
- Who's Who in America