Paul W. Boltz, Jr.
Paul represents U.S.-listed and pre-IPO companies based in Asia on a wide range of corporate activity and cross-border transactional work, often with a U.S. public securities aspect. He also represents issuers, underwriters and private equity sponsors in connection with initial public offerings and other capital markets transactions in the United States and Hong Kong markets, as well as multiple take-private transactions.
Paul has practiced in Hong Kong since 2000 and his clients include many of China’s leading life science and high tech companies.
- Represented DYNAM JAPAN HOLDINGS Co., Ltd. (HKSE Main Board, stock code 06889) as its international counsel in its listing on the Main Board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange and concurrent Reg S/Rule 144A global offering. The IPO is notable in that DYNAM is the first Japanese company to ever have a primary listing in the Hong Kong market and the first company in the pachinko industry to list in any market in the world.
- Represented China Zenix Auto International (NYSE: ZX), China’s leading commercial vehicle wheel manufacturer, in its initial listing on the New York Stock Exchange and in ongoing corporate matters.
- Represented long-time client NetEase.com, Inc. (NASDAQ Global Select: NTES), one of China’s leading online game companies and internet portal operators, in a variety of corporate matters including its establishment of an onshore/offshore joint venture with Blizzard Entertainment for the operation of World of Warcraft in China and NetEase’s US$125 million convertible notes offering.
- Represented MicroPort Scientific Corporation (HKSE Main Board, stock code 853), China’s leading minimally invasive medical device manufacturer, in its initial listing in Hong Kong and concurrent global offering.
- Represented China GrenTech Corporation Ltd. (NASDAQ Global Select: GRRF), a mobile network communication equipment manufacturer in China, in a variety of corporate matters including an SEC-registered secondary sale of equity securities and its subsequent privatization from the U.S. markets.
- Represent 3SBio Inc. (NASDAQ Global Select: SSRX), a China-based biotechnology company, in a variety of corporate matters.
- Represent Linktone Ltd. (NASDAQ Global: LTON), a leading wireless services company, in a variety of corporate matters, including its initial public offering, the acquisition of a majority stake in Linktone by Indonesian media conglomerate PT PT. Media Nusantara Citra Tbk., and the establishment of a joint venture for the distribution of U.S. Major League Baseball content in seven Asian markets.
- Represent a number of leading private equity investors in connection with the initial public offerings in the U.S. or Hong Kong of their portfolio companies, including the NYSE IPO of TPG portfolio company ShangPharma Corp. and the Nasdaq IPO of Sequoia Capital portfolio company Sky-mobi Limited.
- Represented Ku6 Media Co., Ltd. (formerly named Hurray! Holding Co.) (NASDAQ Global: KUTV), a leading video portal operator in China, in a variety of corporate matters including the acquisition of a majority stake in Ku6 by Nasdaq-listed Shanda Interactive.
- Chambers Asia: Asia's Leading Lawyers for Business (2012-2013)
- Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business (2011-2013)
- "SEC’s Charges Against Chinese Affiliates Of U.S.-Based Accounting Firms Have Broad Implications," Bloomberg BNA Securities Regulation & Law Report (April 2013)
- “Advisers’ Role in Chinese RTO Companies – Implications for Private Equity Sponsors,” Law360 (August 2012)
- “Are you Ready for China,” Business Law Today (January/February 2007)
- “Recent Developments in Sarbanes-Oxley Laws,” China Internet Weekly (September 11, 2006)
- “China-based Companies Accessing the U.S. Capital Markets: Been There, Done That – But Do We Have the Right Focus to Create Public Companies with a Solid Legal Foundation for Long-term Success?” Bloomberg Corporate Law Journal (June 2006)
- Lead Moderator and Presenter, “Cross-Border M&A Deals: Best Practices and Worst Pitfalls. What Both the Buy- and Sell-Sides in China Need to Know,” Ropes & Gray seminar, Beijing (February 2013)
- “Risks When Delisting from the U.S. Markets,” joint Ropes & Gray and Marsh seminar, Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou (2012)
- Presenter, "What Every China-Based U.S.-Listed Company Needs to Know About U.S. SEC Enforcement Actions," Ropes & Gray webinar (June 2012)
- “Current Trends in Offshore Listings for Health Care Companies in China,” Podcast distributed in China to industry professionals, organized by consulting firm General Biologic (December 2010)
- “The Future of China’s Life Sciences Industry,” PharmAsia Summit conference, San Francisco (October 2009)
- “Going Private: Maximising Value in a Downmarket,” IFLR Asia M&A Summit, Hong Kong (March 2009)
- “Hong Kong Financial Summit in Silicon Valley,” a joint presentation with the chairman of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, Santa Clara, CA (May 2008)