Peter A. Alpert
Peter represents industrial, institutional, financial, developer and municipal clients on a broad range of environmental and land-use matters. He has represented institutions and developers in the permitting of large-scale real estate development projects in Massachusetts. His permitting experience spans the full range of entitlement programs, including zoning, wetlands, historic preservation, transportation, endangered species, water management and water supply, and federal and state environmental impact review.
Peter’s environmental practice is generalized, but a substantial part is devoted to federal and state superfund matters, including the negotiation and administration of CERCLA consent decrees, and the oversight of privatized response actions under the Massachusetts Contingency Plan, including two of the largest MCP cleanups ever performed. He has represented numerous industrial and institutional clients in defense of federal and state environmental enforcement actions initiated pursuant to federal and state air, water, hazardous waste management, and wetlands laws.
Peter also advises corporate clients on the environmental aspects of private equity and merger and acquisition transactions.
- Represented a municipality in connection with the permitting of a 4.5 million square foot mixed-use redevelopment project in suburban Boston.
- Represented a pharmaceutical company in connection with all aspects of the investigation and cleanup of a federal Superfund Site.
- Represented industrial clients in the negotiation of federal and state Natural Resource Damage settlements.
- Represented developer clients in settlement of Enforcement Actions brought by USEPA and Army Corps of Engineers under Clean Water Act.
- Represented many real estate investor clients in the All Appropriate Inquiry/Due Diligence Process and Associated Brownfield Program Activities in Several States.
- Represented clients in connection with investments in land and enterprises involved in hydrofracking activities.
- The International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers (2014)
- The International Who’s Who of Environment Lawyers (2013)
- PLC Which Lawyer? (2012)
- PLC Which Lawyer? Yearbook (2012)
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers (2013)
- Speaker, "Legal Lightning Round: 3 Critical Legal Decisions in Real Estate," The Global Real Estate Forum, MIT Center for Real Estate (April 20, 2012)
- Speaker, IMN In-House Counsel Forum, NYC (October 2011)
- Speaker, Environmental Business Council Forum on PCBs (May 2010)
- Speaker, Manufactured Gas Plant Conference (September 2008)