Rajib focuses on investment management and securities law. Rajib counsels investment advisers, registered investment companies (open-end mutual funds, exchange-traded funds and closed-end funds) and private funds on transactional, regulatory and compliance matters. Rajib also has substantial experience in transactions involving investment companies, including mergers and acquisitions of or by investment advisers and fund adoption transactions, as well as counseling foreign and U.S. clients on cross-border transactional and regulatory matters. Rajib also counsels investment advisers, boards of directors and asset management firms on the use and appropriate application of social media tools.Rajib is chair of the firm’s Attorneys of Color Group, and is a member of the firm’s Hiring and Diversity Committees. He also serves on the Advisory Board of the Mutual Fund Directors Forum.
- Advising Affiliated Managers Group and Managers Funds with respect to several transactions, including purchases of advisory firms and the reorganization of those firms' mutual funds into the Managers Funds complex.
- Advising ProShares with respect to the organization and launch of over fifty exchange-traded funds since 2007.
- Advising the Highland Funds on a variety of different matters, including day-to-day regulatory advice, the organization of new funds, exemptive applications, and the launch of exchange-traded funds among other matters.
- Advised JPMorgan Funds in connection with the rationalization of its fund line-up after its merger with the One Group Funds. This engagement included advising the Funds with respect to thirty fund reorganizations and proxies relating to investment objective changes for eight funds.
- Advising numerous private equity firms with respect to their initial registration as investment advisers as a result of the Dodd-Frank Act and continuing compliance with the Investment Advisers Act.
- Counseling several companies domiciled in foreign countries or undergoing initial public offerings with respect to avoiding inadvertent classification as investment companies.
- Advising several firms with respect to exemptive applications to offer index, leveraged and active exchange-traded funds.
- Providing advice and counseling with respect to the securities offering rules of foreign countries in connection with the offering of investment advisory services and private fund interests.
- Providing negotiation consulting services to large professional service organizations, corporations, non-profit entities and independent directors of mutual funds.
- Q&A response regarding “How 'Pressured' Compliance Pros Deal With Cost Controls,” Ignites (January 17, 2013)
- Co-author, “Ten Things to Know About Social Media in the Financial Services Industry in 2013,” Bloomberg BNA Social Media Law & Policy Report (January 2, 2013)
- Co-author, “Board Oversight of Fair Valuation,” The Review of Securities & Commodities Regulation (December 2012)
- Q&A response regarding “What Compliance Issues Should ETF Firms Watch?” Ignites (October 3, 2012)
- Q&A response regarding “How Do Fund Firms Regulate Social Media Testimonials?” Ignites (May 29, 2012)
- Commentary, “Early SEC Guidance for Private Fund Advisers ‘Essential’ to Limit Costs of Ill-Fitting Rules,” Bloomberg Briefs (April 27, 2012)
- Rajib Chanda, “Traps For The Unwary: Board Oversight of Exchange-Traded Funds,” Fund Directions (April 2012); Excerpted on Forbes.com (May 2012)
- Q&A response regarding “How Firms Navigate Social Media Regulatory Uncertainty,” Ignites (March 2012)
- Co-author, “Rule 35d-1: What’s In a Name?” The Investment Lawyer (October 2011)
- "How to Deal with LinkedIn Recommendations," Ignites (September 2, 2011)
- Co-author, “Special Considerations for Private Fund Advisers under the Advisers Act,” Compliance Corner, IAA Newsletter (June 2011)
- Panelist, Investment Company Institute’s 2013 Mutual Fund Compliance Conference, “Lightening Round: Q&A with Compliance Experts,” (May 3, 2013)
- Discussion Facilitator, Investment Company Institute’s 2013 Mutual Fund Compliance Conference, “Large Fund Complexes,” (May 3, 2013)
- Panelist, Investment Company Institute’s 2013 Mutual Fund Compliance Conference, “Trust , but Verify: Oversight of Subadvisers,” (May 2, 2013)
- Presenter, Mutual Fund Directors Forum webinar “SEC v. Morgan Keegan Board: Lessons & Implications for Valuation Oversight,” (January 17, 2013)
- Presenter, Boston Bar Association, “How Financial Services Firms View Legal & Regulatory Issues Relating to Social Media,” (November 16, 2012)
- Presenter, Independent Directors Council 2012 Fund Directors Conference, “Valuation: Emerging Issues and Considerations for Fund Boards,” (October 2, 2012)
- Presenter, Independent Directors Council Boston Chapter Meeting, “Negotiation Topics for Boards and Directors: Getting Better Distributive Outcomes,” (September 12, 2012)
- Presenter, Independent Directors Council NY Chapter Meeting, “Negotiation Topics for Boards and Directors: Getting Better Distributive Outcomes,” (September 5, 2012)
- Presenter, Mutual Fund Directors Forum 2012 Policy Conference, “Effective Negotiation Techniques,” (June 19, 2012)
- Moderator, Independent Directors Council’s "2012 Investment Company Directors Workshop," discussion group on Board Governance (May 10, 2012)
- Moderator, Ignites webcast, “Balancing Marketing, Compliance for Social Media Success,” (April 24, 2012)
- Presenter, Mutual Fund Directors Forum webinar, “How Tweet It Is: Board Oversight of Social Media,” (April 19, 2012)
- Presenter, 2012 Investment Company Institute Mutual Funds and Investment Management Conference panel discussion on “Social Media Opportunities and Challenges," (March 19, 2012)
- Presenter, NICSA General Membership Meeting and Best Practices Symposium panel discussion on Social Media in the Workplace (October 6, 2011)
- Presenter, Investment Company Institute’s webinar on Mutual Fund Filing and Disclosure Requirements: Form N-1A Disclosure Requirements (June 28, 2011)
- Presenter, Investment Company Institute’s webinar on Mutual Fund Filing and Disclosure Requirements: Form N-1A Procedural Requirements (June 8, 2011)
- Presenter, Mutual Fund Directors Forum's 2011 Directors' Institute lecture on “Negotiation Strategies for Mutual Fund Boards,” (January 2011)
- Presenter, North American South Asian Bar Association 2010 Convention, Interactive Workshop Focusing on Negotiation Strategies in Mediation (June 25, 2010)