AssociateRegina Sam represents clients across a broad technical spectrum, including medical devices, data security, wireless communications, and digital signal processing. Regina’s practice focuses primarily on portfolio management, product clearance, and defensive strategies, both in the U.S. and internationally.
Regina has guided client product designs, efficiently managing all aspects of the product clearance process, including interfacing with product design teams, analyzing competitor portfolios, and providing freedom-to-operate and enforceability opinions. For nearly seven years, Regina has also worked with clients to develop effective portfolio management strategies. She has pursued patent protection in both mature and exploratory technology areas. She has extensive experience in strategically mining client portfolios to develop claiming strategies that provide defensive and offensive capabilities. Regina also regularly collaborates with partners in the firm’s private equity group to support strategic and private equity acquisitions, including evaluating the risks posed by third-party intellectual property rights.
Regina’s graduate work focused on modeling semiconductor memory hierarchies and culminated in a modeling tool used by a major technology company. Prior to joining Ropes, Regina worked as an information technology consultant, a software engineer, and a computer systems architect. Regina has experience programming in C, C++, Java, and VHDL.
- Spent eight months on secondment as in-house IP Counsel to a major medical device company, leading product clearance for several products, devising portfolio development strategies, and negotiating supply and development agreements.
- Wrote and prosecuted patent applications for a networking, data security, and speech company, growing a diverse portfolio that was subsequently acquired by a major defense contractor.
- Represented TPG Capital and Fenwal, Inc. in the sale of Fenwal, a global leader specializing in separation technologies for blood and cell collection and therapy, to Fresenius Kabi.
- Represented a major technology company in licensing negotiations relating to server and distributed storage technology, including assessing infringement claims and successfully identifying patent vulnerabilities that provided leverage in negotiations.
- Represented a major hedge fund in successfully negotiating a technology license and service agreement with a trading signal provider.