Robert A. Skinner
Rob Skinner represents investment advisers and other financial services firms in securities litigation and other complex business disputes. In recent years, Rob has been heavily involved in litigating many of the leading issues facing the mutual fund industry, including subprime-related losses, excessive fee claims and prospectus liability. In addition to handling active litigation matters, he frequently advises investment managers and other clients in their dealings with state and federal regulators. Rob also has substantial experience in litigating major insurance coverage disputes on behalf of leading insurers, including trial and appellate victories in the 9/11 World Trade Center coverage dispute.
- Harris Associates: Obtained U.S. Supreme Court victory for mutual fund advisor in Jones v. Harris Associates, 559 U.S. – (2010), the seminal decision establishing the liability standard for excessive fee claims under Section 36(b) of the 1940 Act.
- Ameriprise Financial: Argued and won Eighth Circuit victory in Gallus v. Ameriprise Financial, Inc. (2012), dismissing excessive fee claims and establishing unavailability of “defective process” claims under Jones v. Harris Associates.
- State Street Global Advisors: Representing institutional investment manager in multiple federal actions relating to losses in subprime asset-backed securities in mutual funds and unregistered collective trust funds. Cases include ERISA class action and Yu v. State Street Corp. (S.D.N.Y. 2011), dismissing securities class action regarding mutual fund disclosures for lack of causation.
- ProShares Funds: As lead counsel for the largest sponsor of leveraged and inverse exchange-traded funds (ETFs), won dismissal of multiple class actions alleging prospectus liability for inadequate risk disclosures. In re ProShares Trust (S.D.N.Y. 2012).
- Allianz Funds: As lead counsel, won dismissal of derivative shareholder suit against mutual fund advisor and trustees alleging breach of fiduciary duty and securities law violations.
- Institutional Investor: Argued and won favorable decision in the Second Circuit enforcing arbitrability of a claim asserted by a major university endowment against a Russian oil and gas company that issued American Depositary Receipts.
- “First Circuit litigation star,” Benchmark Appellate (2012)
- “Most Influential People,” MutualFundWire (2010)
- Financial Times “U.S. Innovative Lawyer," (2010)
- Benchmark Appellate Litigation Star (2013)
- "Future Star," Benchmark Litigation (2009-2012)
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers (2008-2011)
- Robert A. Skinner, Tyler A. Young, “Recent Developments in Securities Litigation Against Mutual Funds,” The Review of Securities & Commodities Regulation (June 2012)
- Robert A. Skinner, Guest Commentary, “Cases to Watch in 2011,” Board IQ (February 2011)
- Robert A. Skinner, Daniel V. McCaughey, “Federal Court Decision Highlights Uncertainty over Mutual Fund Derivative Litigation Under Massachusetts Law,” The Journal Of Index Investing (Winter 2010)
- Speaker, CA '40 Acts Group - Quarterly Luncheon Seminar, "Mutual Fund Litigation Risk and Recent Developments," (April, 2013)
- Panelist, Board IQ webinar, “Parsing Out the Reserve Fund Ruling,” (November 2012)
- Panelist, PricewaterhouseCoopers and Fund Director Intelligence webinar, “Contract Renewal Time: What Does the 15(c) Process Mean to Fund Directors Today?” (June 2012)
- Panelist, Investment Company Institute 2012 Mutual Funds and Investment Management Conference, “Waiting for Answers: Unresolved Issues in Mutual Fund Civil Litigation,” (March 2012)
- Speaker, Investment Company Institute 2011 General Membership Meeting, “Current Developments in Litigation Involving Mutual Funds and Investment Advisers,” (May 2011)
- Speaker, Investment Adviser Association 2011 Annual Conference, “Litigation and Enforcement: Today’s Risks,” (April 2011)
- Panelist, Investment Company Institute 2010 Securities Law Developments Conference, “Developments in SEC Enforcement and Private Litigation,” (December 2010)
- Presenter, Morningstar Associates Webinar, “Understanding the Jones Ruling,” co-sponsored by the Mutual Fund Directors Forum (April 2010)
- Presenter, BoardIQ Webinar, “What the Jones v. Harris Ruling Means for Directors," (April 2010)
- Panelist, “How Much Is Too Much? The Supreme Court Review of the Gartenberg Standard in Jones v. Harris Associates,” Boston Bar Association (June 2009)
- Speaker, 2009 Investment Company Directors Workshop: “Board Responses to a Shifting Financial Landscape,” (April 2009)
- Speaker, Governing Council of the Investment Company Institute’s Independent Directors Council regarding Jones v. Harris Associates and Gallus v. Ameriprise cases. (April 2009)
- Panelist, “Mutual Fund Civil Litigation: The Current Landscape,” 2009 Mutual Funds and Investment Management Conference, sponsored by the Investment Company Institute (March 2009)
- Panelist, Investment Company Institute’s 2008 Independent Counsel Roundtable, Legal Issues Facing Counsel to Mutual Fund Independent Trustees and the Impact of the Jones v. Harris Associates Decision (July 2008)
- Presenter, Ignites Webinar on “Pricing Funds Post-Gartenberg," (Examining the Effects of the Seventh Circuit’s Ruling in Jones v. Harris Associates) (June 2008)