Carmen L. Albert
Carmen Albert joined Ropes & Gray in 2014 as an associate in the real estate investments & transactions group.
Carmen represents a wide range of institutional investors, hedge funds, and other private equity investors in a variety of real estate transactional matters, including joint ventures, investments, financing, distressed debt purchases, complex acquisitions and dispositions, development, and leasing.
Carmen also has experience representing lenders, borrowers, and guarantors in an array of securitized commercial loan transactions, and underwriters, issuers, and conduit borrowers in tax-exempt bond and PILOT transactions.
Carmen gained international real estate experience as part of Ropes & Gray’s Global Opportunity (GO) Program during a six-month assignment in the London office.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Carmen practiced at an international firm in its Boston and New York offices.
- Representation of Regis Corporation, a leader in the haircare industry, in the sale of all its mall-based salon business in North America, and in its agreement to sell all of its international segment to The Beautiful Group, an affiliate of Regent, who will operate the entities as the company’s largest franchisee.
- Representation of Golden Gate Capital in its acquisition of Bob Evans Restaurants, the operator of family restaurants in 18 states, primarily in the Midwest, mid-Atlantic and Southeast regions of the United States
- Representation of TPG Real Estate, the real estate platform of TPG, in a $120 million equity investment in a national self-storage facility company
- Representation of one of the nation’s oldest and largest investment funds, with over $27 billion of assets under management, and its affiliates in investments through joint ventures with international and domestic operators and managers
- Representation of Harvard Management Company, the investment advisor for the Harvard University endowment, in real estate investments through joint ventures with international, national, regional and local sponsors, operators and managers
- Representation of Montefiore Medical Center in its acquisition of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, an unincorporated division of Yeshiva University
- Representation of a public REIT in negotiating and closing master repurchase facilities from multiple major commercial and investment banks to finance commercial real estate loans secured by real estate in the United States, the United Kingdom and Europe
- Representation of private equity funds in connection with the acquisition and financing of companies that have significant real estate interests throughout the United States
- Representation of Lawyers Without Borders pro bono in connection with the Animal Trafficking and Human Trafficking Programs in Kenya and Tanzania
- Representation of Codman Academy Foundation pro bono in the conveyance, leasing and development of a school facility with New Markets Tax Credits financing
Notable transactions in which Carmen was involved prior to joining the firm include:
- Served as counsel to a syndicate of lenders in refinancing a portfolio of Broadway theaters
- Served as counsel to an international developer in the construction of a shopping mall in Israel