Matthew Cox is a partner in Ropes & Gray's finance group in London, focusing on leveraged and acquisition financing and restructuring.
Matthew has significant experience with UK and international transactions, as well as deep knowledge of both the borrower and lender side of complex financings and restructurings. He regularly advises private equity, funds and investment banking clients. Matthew is also co-chair of the firm’s pro bono committee.
- Acting for Bain Capital on its purchase of a controlling stake in MKM, the UK’s largest independent builders’ merchant, from 3i and Lloyds Development Capital
- Acting for Bain Capital in connection with its acquisition of the Ibstock, Forticrete, Supreme and Glen Gery clay and concrete businesses of CRH plc
- Acting for Hellman & Friedman in connection with its refinancing and subsequent disposal of SSP Holdings Limited
- Acting for Charlesbank Capital Partners in connection with its acquisition of Six Degrees Limited
- Acting for European Capital on its leveraged buyout of Cordium, a provider of services to regulated firms
- Acting for Welsh Carson in connection with the refinancing of Aspen Healthcare and its subsequent sale
- Acting for a major US Opportunity Fund on its financing for the acquisition of a major shopping centre in Europe
- Acting for Anchorage Capital in connection with the acquisition of New Century Care Group
- Acting for Goldman Sachs European Special Situations Group and TPG Special Situations Partners in connection with their joint acquisition of the Cooper Portfolio from Lloyds Banking Group
- Acting for Goldman Sachs European Special Situations Group, TPG Special Situations Partners, Strategic Value Partners, Anchorage Capital and Alchemy Partners on the restructuring and recapitalisation of the McCarthy & Stone Group
- Acting for Goldman Sachs European Special Situations Group and TPG Special Situations Partners in connection with their joint acquisition of the Lundy Portfolio from Lloyds Banking Group
- Acting for Alcentra in connection with its mezzanine financing of Mountain Warehouse
- Acting for Altamont Capital Management LLC on its acquisition of insurance loss adjusters McLarens Young International and Airclaims Ltd.
- Acting for The Hanover Insurance Group on its acquisition of Chaucer Holdings plc, the UK-based insurance group
- Acting for TPG in the €1.2 billion acquisition of Ontex N.V., from Candover Partners Limited; the debt financing was supplied by Goldman Sachs and Bank of America Merrill Lynch
- Acting for Angelo, Gordon & Co, Avenue Capital and Alchemy Partners in connection with their joint acquisition of Avant Homes from Lloyds Banking Group
- Co-author, “Trust Me—A Security Trustee’s Duties to Subordinated Creditors Examined,” The Journal of Bankruptcy Law (February/March 2013)