James P. Dowden
Jim Dowden is a member of Ropes & Gray’s government enforcement practice group and co-coordinator of the firm’s anti-corruption core practice. Jim concentrates his practice on advising clients, including international pharmaceutical and medical device companies, major investment banking firms, financial institutions, and individuals in a wide variety of investigations and enforcement proceedings brought by federal, state and foreign government agencies. His practice focuses on white collar criminal, as well as civil and administrative matters involving the regulation of the commercial banking, securities, life sciences, health care, and pharmaceutical sectors. This includes advising clients on the growing number of fraud, FCPA compliance and other enforcement matters.
Jim spent five years as a federal prosecutor in the Economic Crimes and Public Corruption Units at the United States Attorney’s Office for the District of Massachusetts. He investigated and prosecuted a variety of fraud matters and public corruption cases involving securities fraud, tax fraud, accounting fraud, and corruption related offenses. Prior to joining the U.S. Attorney's Office, Jim was a litigation associate at Ropes & Gray and clerked for Associate Justice Stephen G. Breyer of the United States Supreme Court during the Court’s 2004 term.
- Lead counsel for multinational pharmaceutical company in connection with SEC investigation.
- Lead counsel for several publicly traded companies in connection with FCPA investigations.
- Lead counsel for several international investment advisers in ongoing investigations and litigation concerning FOREX transactions.
- Counsel for leading medical device manufacturer in civil False Claims Act litigation.
- Counsel representing financial institution in industry-wide SEC FCPA investigation focusing on interactions with Sovereign Wealth Funds.
- Counsel for two international medical device companies in connection with DOJ and state attorneys' general investigations.
- Lead counsel for several multinational companies in conducting global anti-corruption risk assessments and internal investigations.
- Defended two international pharmaceutical companies in federal health care fraud investigations alleging off-label marketing, Anti-Kickback, and False Claims Act violations.
- Defended academic medical center in a federal criminal investigation into alleged improper relationships with a major pharmaceutical manufacturer.
- Defended nationally prominent company involved in criminal tax investigation.
- Quoted, “Cyber security: An ESG concern,” The Drawdown (November 1, 2017)
- Quoted, “PE doubts own risk management capabilities,” The Drawdown (September 29, 2017)
- Quoted, “Ropes & Gray launches risk assessment service,” Intellectual Property Magazine (September 18, 2017)
- Quoted, “The Morning Risk Report: Tipster’s Win Highlights Importance of Performance Records,” The Wall Street Journal’s Risk & Compliance Journal (February 9, 2017)
- Jim Dowden, Chris Conniff, and Carly Baratt, “Fraud Amendments to U.S. Sentencing Guidelines,” New York Law Journal (May 15, 2015)
- James Dowden and Patrick Welsh, “Court Issues Rare Guidance When State-Owned Enterprises are “Instrumentalities” of Foreign Governments,” Bloomberg BNA Corporate Law & Accountability Report (June 6, 2014)
- James Dowden, Cori A. Lable, David Peet and Sara Perkins Jones, “Foreign Corrupt Practices Act Enforcement Activity: 2013 Year in Review and 2014 Preview,” (March 28, 2014)
- James Dowden and Brandon Carrington, “SEC Enters into First Deferred Prosecution Agreement with an Individual,” (November 15, 2013)
- James Dowden and Kirsten Mayer, “Fourth Circuit Oral Argument Considers Questions Concerning Constitutionally Problematic FCA Fines,” (June 12, 2013)
- James Dowden and Allison Boscarine, "Private Equity In The SEC Crosshairs," Law360 (March 13, 2013)
- "SEC Settles Cases Alleging Compliance Failures at Private Equity Firms," (March 13, 2013)
- James Dowden and Nicholas Berg, “Rare Guidance on FCPA’s Reach over Foreign Nationals,”Law360 (February 27, 2013)
- "Two Recent Decisions Provide Rare Guidance on the FCPA's Reach Over Foreign Nationals," (February 26, 2013)
- James Dowden, Douglas H. Hallward-Driemeier, and Brendon Carrington, "Health Law Case Brief: Revisiting Federal Authority: An Analysis of Supreme Court’s Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act Cases," Health Law Reporter (September 2012)
- James Dowden and Brendon Carrington, "Implications Of The SEC's 1st Whistleblower Award," Law360 (August 24, 2012)
- James Dowden, Andrew Caffrey and Katherine Saral, "Splitting the Baby," The Recorder (July 2012)
- Christopher Conniff, James Dowden and Brendon Carrington, "Insider Trading Sentences Get Extra Bite," Compliance Reporter (May 2012)
- Presenter, “Current Anti-Corruption Hot-Topics,” Anti-Corruption Programs for Private Equity Firms in 2013, Knowledge Congress's live webcast (October 3, 2013)
- Presenter, “Navigating the FCPA “Resource Guide”: Enforcement Trends and Compliance Tips,” Ropes & Gray webinar (November 2012)