John C. Ertman
John specializes in complex commercial litigation, with a focus on the investment management industry. He regularly serves as lead litigation counsel on behalf of private equity, mutual fund, and hedge fund clients, including in securities litigation, class actions, government enforcement actions, mortgage trust disputes, large contract disputes, and whistleblower matters.
- Plaintiffs’ counsel for mortgage pool Trustees and investors in the Wells Fargo, NA v. City of Richmond, CA eminent domain litigation against a California city’s plan to seize mortgage loans.
- Plaintiff’s counsel for the world’s largest mutual fund in an action in Connecticut state court against the Trustee of a mortgage pool trust for failure to protect trust investors.
- Defense counsel to a private equity firm portfolio company in a broken deal litigation in the Delaware Supreme Court.
- Defense counsel to closed end funds in shareholder derivative actions in New York state court.
- Defense counsel to a private equity firm in connection with the “pay-to-play” regulatory investigation by the Securities and Exchange Commission and the New York Attorney General’s Office involving the New York Common Retirement Fund.
- Defense counsel to closed end funds in Massachusetts state court sued by an insurgent hedge fund investor.
- Defense counsel to a venture capital firm in a broken deal litigation in New York and California state courts.
- Defense counsel to a private equity fund general partner in an action over $100 million in fund losses in Maryland federal court.
- Defense counsel to a mutual fund complex in shareholder class actions involving market timing and revenue sharing in Maryland and Connecticut federal courts.
- Defense counsel to a private equity firm and its public portfolio company in shareholder class actions in Delaware Chancery Court in connection with a “going private” transaction.
- Defense counsel to a private equity firm in federal court in New York in litigation arising from an $800 million acquisition of private equity interests.
- Quoted, “Pimco, BlackRock Act to Drop Mortgage Fight,” Ignites (May 20, 2014)
- “Taking Stock of Three Waves of Mutual Fund Shareholder Litigation,” The Investment Lawyer (October 2008)