Matthew J. Fucci
Matt Fucci began his career with Ropes & Gray in 2005 and is currently a counsel in the Boston office. Matt focuses his practice on mergers and acquisitions, licensing and collaboration transactions, sponsored research agreements, manufacturing and supply arrangements, venture capital transactions, and corporate governance. His clients include companies and investors in the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, medical device, and other high tech fields. Matt also represents non-profit institutions in crafting innovative collaboration and development relationships to help fund cutting edge research.
From 2011 to 2014, Matt served in-house as vice president and senior counsel at a leading global financial institution, where he advised on matters relating to domestic and international product launches, acquisitions, outsourcings, and other strategic initiatives, as well as data protection and other regulations.
- Represented consortium of managers and investors in establishment of medical device research and development enterprise.
- Represented Kastle Therapeutics in its acquisition of global rights to develop and commercialize KYNAMRO® from Ionis Pharmaceuticals for consideration totaling up to $95 million.
- Represented major pharmaceutical company in collaboration and option transaction with biotech startup and related sponsored research agreement with university.
- Represented Aegerion Pharmaceuticals in its $325 million acquisition of AstraZeneca’s Myalept, also known as metreleptin, the only U.S. approved orphan product designed to treat complications of leptin deficiency in patients with generalized lipodystrophy.
- Represented a major biopharmaceutical company in connection with its acquisition of a manufacturing facility in North Carolina’s Research Triangle Park and the related expansion of a strategic manufacturing alliance.
- Represented Civitas Therapeutics in its acquisition by Acorda Therapeutics for $525 million in cash. Acorda obtained worldwide rights to a promising Parkinson’s Disease drug candidate, associated delivery technology, and related manufacturing facility as part of the transaction.
- Represented Acceleron Pharma in multiple venture financings and other transactions, including a collaboration and licensing agreement with Celgene involving an upfront payment to Acceleron of $45 million and a concurrent equity investment by Celgene.
- Represented Becton, Dickinson and Company in BD’s $270 million sale of three distinct product groups: ophthalmic systems, surgical blades/scalpels, and critical care systems, to portfolio companies of RoundTable Healthcare Partners.
- Represented BioForm Medical, Inc. (NASDAQ: BFRM) in its $288 million sale to Merz Pharma Group, a privately-held German company.
- Other representative transactions include venture capital equity and convertible debt investments, acquisitions and divestitures of branded generic product lines, and collaboration agreements with complex option and milestone components.