Mike Goetz is a partner in the firm's finance practice group. Mike focuses on representing large commercial and investment clients in leveraged lending, acquisition finance matters, and structured/illiquid credits and brings to his practice a high level of commerciality and experience with US structures, allied to a deep understanding of European markets. Mike is managing partner of the London office.
Mike is one of London's most prominent US-trained lawyers, involved in all aspects of structuring, negotiating, and documenting complex cross-border transactions. He also has extensive experience with reorganisations and bankruptcy-related financings, and has successfully represented debt underwriters, lenders and other creditors and borrowers. He has facilitated some of the largest acquisitions on behalf of leading private equity sponsors, including CVC Capital Partners, Kohlberg Kravis Roberts, and Bain Capital.
- Acting for Altice and Numericable Group in their jumbo US$21.9 billion cross-border bank and bond financing for the acquisition of French telecoms operator SFR
- Acting for The Hanover Insurance Group on the financing of its acquisition of Chaucer Holdings plc, the UK-based insurance group
- Acting for Liberty Global Inc. in connection with the financing for its approximate €3.16 billion acquisition of Germany's third-largest cable TV operator Kabel BW Erste Beteiligungs GmbH, from Swedish private equity group EQT Partners AB
- Acting for a private equity consortium consisting of Berkshire Partners, Bain Capital and Advent International in the US$1.1 billion leveraged buyout of SkillSoft, an Irish-based public company
- Acting for UPC Holding BV in connection with the €640 million Senior Notes issue to be used to fund the refinancing of their existing and outstanding 2014 high yield notes, bookrunners were Credit Suisse and Morgan Stanley
- Acting for Liberty Global Inc. in connection with its €2.6 billion high yield offering to finance the acquisition of Unitymedia GmbH, and the provision of a €80 million senior revolving credit facility for UPC Germany GmbH, this was the largest secured bond in European high yield history, the largest ever high yield deal in the cable space, the second largest high yield deal ever completed in Europe, the largest private equity exit in Europe in 2009 and the first major European deal where high yield bonds have usurped bank loans to fund an acquisition
- Acting for Altice VII S.à r.L. on a US$1.034 billion covenant lite term loan, a €250 million bond issuance and €125 million in other bank financing of the acquisition of Groupe Outremer Telecom S.A.
- Mike frequently speaks at conferences and appears on professional panels regarding a variety of topics relating to finance and restructuring.