Malcolm is a partner in Ropes & Gray’s finance group in London. He is a debt finance expert specialising in fund finance, leveraged and corporate financings, restructurings and event-driven finance.
Malcolm has considerable experience acting for sponsors, lenders, borrowers and financial advisers in relation to leveraged financings and LBOs, corporate financings, restructurings, auctions, public-to-private takeovers, infrastructure funding and bid financings.
Over the past 20 years he has been involved in over 200 transactions across a wide range of industry sectors and geographies.
Notable matters in which Malcolm has been involved in include:
- Acting for Intermediate Capital Group on its:
- on the financing, by way of PIK loan, in connection with the acquisition of certain stakes in Visma as part of a US$5.3 billion consortium buyout, Europe’s largest ever software buyout
- investment in Blackrock Programme Management (Blackrock PM), a UK-headquartered professional services firm that provides construction consulting and expert witness services for large, international construction and engineering projects
- Acting for Oakley Capital on the acquisition of TechInsights, a technology patent analysis business
- Acting for a range of private equity sponsors and lenders on the financing for leveraged buyouts including Allflex, Phones 4u, CPL Group, Enterprise Inns, Honsel, Lowell Group, Meadow Foods, Mill House Inns, UK Provincial and Ward Homes
- Acting for a range of private equity sponsors and lenders on the financing for leveraged infrastructure transactions including Kelda, National Air Traffic Services (NATS), Southern Water, TXU and Virgin Trains
- Acting for a private equity sponsor on the leveraged financing of a pan-European IVF Network
- Acting for Yell Group on its various leveraged financings, refinancings and its innovative US$7.4 billion debt restructuring
- Acting for Virgin Group on various of its financing requirements
- Acting for Lonmin plc on its fund raisings, work-outs and restructurings
- Acting for a global asset manager in relation to its portfolio borrowing base facilities
- Acting for a major European Private Equity house in relation to its capital call bridge and related liquidity requirements
- Acting for a global credit fund in respects of its capital subscription facilities
- Quoted, “Effort to Harmonise Risky-Loans Rules in Doubt,” The Financial Times (June 5, 2017)
- Author, “Leveraged Loan Rules,” Real Deals (June 1, 2017)
- Quoted, “ECB Publishes Final Lending Guidelines,”Reuters (May 18, 2017)
- Quoted, “ECB Softens Terms in Final Leverage Guidelines,”Private Equity News (May 17, 2017)