Leveraging the rare combination of training and practices in Korea and in the U.S., Hanyong Lee offers clients over 15 years of experience with IP management, licensing and litigation. Early in his career, Han worked at a major law firm in Korea as a patent attorney, and later at one of the largest Internet companies in Asia, Naver, where he was the lead in-house IP counsel founding and heading its IP department.
Since joining Ropes & Gray in 2008, Han has litigated numerous U.S. patent infringement matters in the federal courts and before the International Trade Commission in both defensive and offensive actions. Han has experience in all stages of litigation, ranging from pre-suit investigations to pleadings, infringement and invalidity analyses, fact and expert discovery including e-discovery, and claim construction as well as pre-trial, trial and post-trial proceedings. His experience also includes mediation and settlement of IP disputes.
In addition to IP, Han has significant experience in compliance and government enforcement matters. His practice includes advising clients on internal investigations, due diligence, and compliance programs, particularly with a focus on anti-corruption and anti-money laundering matters in Korea. Han has conducted numerous internal investigations for multinational and private equity clients across different industries, including pharmaceutical, bio and cosmetic, finance, mobile and manufacturing.
Han was previously based in the firm’s New York office before relocating to Seoul in 2013. Prior to joining the firm, Han served as a Judicial Intern to The Honorable Susan G. Braden at the U.S. Court of Federal Claims.
Han is currently registered in Korea as a foreign legal consultant.
- Certain L-Tryptophan, L-Tryptophan Products, and Their Methods of Production (337-TA-1005): Defending CJ CheilJedang adverse to its competitor Ajinomoto in a two-patent dispute relating to genetically-modified bacteria for the production of L-tryptophan.
- In re Certain Light-Emitting Diodes and Products Containing Same (ITC Inv. Nos. 337-TA-785): Defended Samsung Electronics in an ITC investigation and parallel District Court proceedings against OSRAM involving LED technologies.
- In re Certain Consumer Electronics and Display Devices and Products Containing Same (ITC Inv. Nos. 337-TA-836): Defended Samsung Electronics in a multi-respondent ITC investigation against a non-practicing entity involving digital display and mobile technologies.
- LG Electronics, Inc. v. Whirlpool Corp. (D. N.J.): Represented LG Electronics in an offensive action to enforce patent rights involving refrigerators.
- Worlds.com v. NCsoft Corp. (N.D. Cal.): Defended NCsoft in a patent infringement litigation involving Internet-based gaming system.
- Paltalk Holdings v. NCsoft Corp. (E.D. Tex.): Represented NCsoft in a multi-defendant patent infringement litigation involving network communications for client-server gaming products (MMORPGs).
- ABB Inc. v. Hyundai Heavy Industries (M.D. Fla.): Defended Hyundai Heavy Industry in a patent infringement litigation involving high-voltage power system.
Experience in GE and Compliance Matters
- Advised private equity funds on various anti-corruption and anti-bribery issues in connection with investments in Asia.
- Conducted numerous FCPA and AML due diligences and internal investigations for global private equity firms and U.S.-listed companies.
- Advised clients on developing and implementing anti-corruption and IP compliance policies and procedures.
- Hanyong Lee, “Increasing importance of IP management and needs to monitor Chinese companies’ IP strategies,” LegalTimes (Vol. 82 May 2015)
- Quoted on the subject related to business method patent, KBS News 9 (April 3, 2001)
- Presenter, “Procedure of U.S. Patent Litigation,” Korea Invention Promotion Association (July 2017)
- Presenter, “Intellectual Property in the U.S.,” Korean Bar Association Seminar for Young Korean Lawyers (April 2017)
- Presenter, “Recent Trends in U.S. Patent Law,” In-house Counsel Forum’s Spring Academy (April 2017)
- Presenter, “Willful Infringement After Halo: Consequences and Best Practices,” Korea Electronics Association (October 2016)
- Presenter, “Intellectual Property in the U.S.,” Korea Bar Association Seminar for Young Korean Lawyers (April 2016)
- Presenter, “Recent Decision on Claim Construction By The United States Supreme Court and Best Practice for Electronics Cases,” Seminar for Korea Patent Attorneys Association (August 2015)
- Presenter, “U.S. Patent Litigation: Procedures and Strategies,” IP Institute of Seoul Bar Association (May 2015)
- Presenter, “U.S. Litigation – Document Preservation & Litigation Hold,” International Dispute Seminar at Samsung Electronics (November 2014)
- Presenter, “Recent IP Trends in U.S. – Patent Eligibility of Business Method,” 2014 International Symposium in Seoul by Korea Intellectual Property Society (October 2014)
- Presenter, “Alice Corp. v. CLS Bank International,” Seminar for Korea Patent Attorneys Association (September 2014)
- Presenter, “US Patent Litigation: Final Preparation for Trial,” 26th Posco Technology Conference (August 2014)
- Presenter, “IP Management – Building Patent Portfolio,” Seminar for Hyundai Heavy Industries (August 2014)
- Presenter, “New Defense Strategy in US Patent Litigation: Inter Partes Review,” IPMS Annual Conference (November 2013)
- Presenter, “Attorney-client privilege and work product immunity, US Patent Disputes: Strategies for Effective Defense,” Korea Patent Attorneys Association/ Korea Institute for Advancement of Technology (March 2010)