Ryan R. Montgomery
Ryan Montgomery is an associate practicing in the firm’s tax and benefits group where he provides advice on ERISA, executive compensation, and employee benefits issues. He advises investors on ERISA matters and frequently represents public and private companies with benefits and compensation issues in mergers and acquisitions. Ryan also assists clients to comply with IRS, Department of Labor, and Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation regulations.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Ryan was a registered lobbyist and advocated on behalf of benefits-related trade associations and benefit plan service providers. Ryan previously served as an attorney at the Federal Retirement Thrift Investment Board where he counseled the Board on tax, investment, and employee benefit matters related to the Federal Thrift Savings Plan. Prior to working at the Board, Ryan served as an attorney in the Office of General Counsel at the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation where he litigated cases on behalf of the agency.
- Advised Silver Lake Partners in connection with executive compensation and benefits matters in its approximately $4.5 billion take-private, along with Thoma Bravo, of SolarWinds, Inc.
- Advises colleges and universities with respect to employee benefits matters.
- Advises several investment managers with respect to ERISA compliance issues.
- Advised Lytx, Inc. in connection with executive compensation and benefits matters relating to its sale to GTCR in an all cash transaction worth over $500 million.
- Advised Shire plc in connection with executive compensation and benefits matters in its acquisition of Dyax Corp. for $5.9 billion in cash plus contingent value rights.
- Contributing author, ERISA Litigation (Bloomberg BNA 5th ed. 2016 supplement)
- Contributing author, ERISA Litigation (Bloomberg BNA 5th ed. 2015 supplement)
- Co-author, “The Department of Labor’s Conflict of Interest Project: The Public Debate and Its Implications for the Final Rule,” Tax Management Compensation Planning Journal (Bloomberg BNA Nov. 6, 2015)
- Panelist, “How Will Tax Reform Affect Retirement Plans and Executive Compensation? What’s Keeping Us Busy While We Await Legislation,” 2017 Federal Bar Association Tax Law Conference, Washington DC