Kim B. Nemirow
Kim is a partner in Ropes & Gray’s Chicago office and a Registered Foreign Lawyer in Hong Kong. Having recently returned to the U.S. after several years in Ropes & Gray’s Hong Kong office, she devotes her practice to white collar matters in Asia, Latin America, and globally. She has extensive experience advising multinational organizations and individuals in a wide variety of U.S. DOJ and SEC investigations, internal investigations, and compliance matters. Kim has led many investigations for private equity, pharmaceutical, medical device, technology and other clients into potential violations of the FCPA, securities laws, and various health care fraud statutes. Kim is also regularly called upon by clients to advise regarding anti-corruption, sanctions and anti-money laundering risk assessments and due diligence matters throughout Asia and Latin America, and to conduct compliance trainings of personnel around the world.
- Represented a global medical technologies company in an investigation into potential kickback and cartel-related conduct by one of its Mexican distributors.
- Advised Blackstone in its joint venture with China Vanke, China’s largest residential developer. Named “Real Estate & Construction Deal of the Year” for 2015 by China Law and Practice.
- Advised Blackstone in the acquisition of Hindustan Construction’s stake in 247 Park, a large commercial property in the transit hub of Vikhroli, a suburb of Mumbai. Named “Deal of the Year” for 2015 by the India Business Law Journal.
- Represented multiple multinational pharmaceutical, medical device, technology, real estate and other companies in anti-corruption investigations in China, India, Vietnam, Korea, Japan and elsewhere.
- Led dozens of anti-corruption, sanctions and anti-money laundering due diligence matters in connection with private equity and other investments in high risk countries around the world, including in China, Brazil, India, and Russia.
- Representing a global technology company in a government-facing investigation into its promotional practices in China.
- Represented a global financial institution in an industry-wide FCPA investigation focusing on interactions with Sovereign Wealth Funds.
- Conducted an internal investigation on behalf of a global investment bank into hiring issues in China.
- Led anti-corruption risk assessments for more than 100 private equity portfolio companies around the world, including companies in China, India, Central and South America, Europe, and Africa.
- Developed and implemented anti-corruption compliance programs for several private equity firms and their global portfolio companies.
- Represented multiple major medical device manufacturers in federal criminal investigations into the companies’ marketing practices and relationships with physicians.
- Achieved a dismissal of a False Claims Act action alleging improper marketing practices against a multinational medical device manufacturer.
- Represented a major pharmaceutical company in several multi-defendant consumer protection actions brought by states’ attorneys general regarding Medicaid pricing fraud.
- Q&A, “With Greater Enforcement Focus on Illicit Funds in Real Estate, Risks Rise for Investors, Corporates,” Association of Certified Financial Crime Specialists (September 1, 2016)
- Co-author, “Mexico moves forward: Sweeping new anti-corruption regime, presidential apology,” The FCPA Blog (August 30, 2016)
- Co-author, “Practice Note: How to handle real estate compliance risks,” The FCPA Blog (August, 25, 2016)
- Co-author, “Compliance Alert: Enforcement hammer falls on real estate,” The FCPA Blog (August 23, 2016)
- Co-author, “Reps & Warranties Insurance From A Compliance Perspective,” Law360 (July 28, 2016)
- Co-author, “Clearing India’s corruption hurdle,” PERE News (June 30, 2016)
- Quoted, “U.S. Offers Rare Account of Why It Didn’t Pursue Bribery Charges,” The Wall Street Journal “Risk & Compliance Journal” (June 7, 2016)
- Quoted, “Panama Papers To Provide Fertile FCPA Hunting Ground,” Law360 (May 9, 2016)
- Co-author, “Effective FCPA Compliance Strategies in the Wake of the Panama Papers,” The FCPA Report (May 4, 2016)
- Co-author, “From Corruption To AML: The Future Of Chinese Enforcement,” Law360 (March 8, 2016)
- Co-author, “Bribery and Corruption Reporting Obligations: China,” Practical Law Global (July 2015)
- Co-author, “Navigating Corruption Challenges in India,” The FCPA Report, (February 18, 2015)
- Co-author, “Corruption and Bribery Concerns Affecting Japanese Pharmaceutical Companies Operating in the United States,” New York Pharma Forum (January 2015)
- Quoted, “Creation of new Chinese enforcer shows will to continue corruption crackdown,” Global Investigations Review, (November 4, 2014)
- Co-author, “Tips for an Effective Anticorruption Monitoring Program,” Corporate Counsel (September 5, 2014)
- Co-author, “Busting Bribery Post-Acquisition,” Private Equity International (August 20, 2014)
- Quoted, “Financial fraud multiplies damage of FCPA disclosures,” Global Investigations Review, June 11, 2014
- Co-author, “The Implications of the ‘‘Big Four’’ Suspension Ruling,”Bloomberg BNA Corporate Law & Accountability Report (March 14, 2014)
- Co-author, “China Anti-Bribery Rules Raise Questions For Life Sciences,”Law360 (February 27, 2014)
- Co-author, “M&A Litigation Goes Global,”Insights (May 2013)
- Co-author, “SEC’s Charges Against Chinese Affiliates Of U.S.-Based Accounting Firms Have Broad Implications,”Bloomberg BNA Securities Regulation & Law Report (April 2013)
- Speaker, “What You Need to Know to Protect Your Business after the Panama Papers: A Cross-Practice Discussion,” Ropes & Gray Webinar (June 29, 2016)
- Presenter, “Tendencias de FCPA en América Latina para Empresas Farmacéuticas,” Cámara Argentina de Especialidades Medicinales, Buenos Aires, Argentina (May 27, 2016)
- Panelist, “Conducting an Effective Internal Investigation in the Lava Jato Era and Reflections on an Effective Compliance Program,” Demarest Advogados, São Paulo, Brazil (May 23, 2016)
- Panelist, “Exploring the Career and Leadership Issues Raised in Lean-In: Women, Work and the Will to Lead by Sheryl Sandberg, Women’s luncheon, São Paulo, Brazil (May 23, 2016)
- Panelist, “The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and International Anti-Corruption Developments 2016,” Practising Law Institute, New York (May 2016)
- Panelist, “Compliance, Ethics and Enforcement on International Trade Program,” The John Marshall Law School’s Center for International Law’s conference, Chicago (April 2016)
- Panelist, “Chicago Foreign Corruption Conference,” 9th Annual Chicago White Collar Crime and Corporate Governance Conference, Chicago (April 2016)
- Panelist, “Crisis Communication: Handling Communications as Part of a Litigation Strategy ,”FTI Consulting and Ropes & Gray Roundtable, New York (November 2015)
- Presenter, “Effective Monitoring and Risk Assessment,” Joint AdvaMed and APACMed Compliance Meeting, Singapore (July 2015)
- Panelist, “How to Update and Localise your Global Anti-Corruption Programme to Protect Against the Unique Pitfalls and Risks of Operating in China,” at C5’s 3rd Annual Australian Anti-Corruption, Compliance & risk Management Summit (May 2015)
- Presenter, “Focus on China’s Commercial Bribery Crackdown,” American Conference Institute’s 3rd Asia-Pacific Summit on Anti-Corruption, Compliance and Risk Management, Singapore (December 2014)
- Presenter, “Developments in International Anti-Corruption Law — Recent Enforcement Trends and Common Risk Areas in Asia,” Ropes & Gray Teleconference Briefing, Tokyo (September 2014)
- Presenter, “Lessons Learned Conducting Investigations in China,” Ropes & Gray Government Enforcement Roundtable, Hong Kong (September 2014)
- Presenter, “U.S. Antitrust & Anti-Corruption Enforcement,” Ropes & Gray Seminar co-hosted with The Japanese Institute of International Business Law, Tokyo (June 2014)
- Moderator, “The 2014 Anti-corruption Environment: What it Means for Doing Business in China,” Chambers and Partners General Counsel Seminar in association with Ropes & Gray, Hong Kong (February 2014)
- Presenter, “Distributor Management: Anti-corruption Risks and Best Practices,” Ropes & Gray Medical Device Roundtable: Distributor Management and Medical Device Tendering (July 2013)
- Panelist, “How to Establish an Effective Third Party Monitoring Program,” American Conference Institute’s 6th China Summit on Anti-Corruption (June 2013)
- Presenter, “Navigating the FCPA “Resource Guide”: Enforcement Trends and Compliance Tips,” Ropes & Gray webinar (November 2012)