Kim B. Nemirow
Kim is a partner of Ropes & Gray LLP and a Registered Foreign Lawyer in the Hong Kong office. She devotes her practice to white collar matters in Asia. She has extensive experience advising multinational organizations and individuals in a wide variety of U.S. DOJ and SEC investigations, internal investigations, and compliance matters. In addition to her experience as a government enforcement attorney in the U.S. handling matters involving potential violations of the FCPA, securities laws, and various health care fraud statutes, Kim has led many investigations in China for private equity, pharmaceutical, medical device, and other China-based clients and has particular expertise managing the challenges facing companies doing business in China. Kim is also regularly called upon by clients to advise regarding anti-corruption risk assessments and due diligence in China, and to conduct trainings of personnel in China.
- Representing multiple multinational pharmaceutical and medical device companies in anti-corruption investigations in China.
- Represented a global financial institution in an industry-wide FCPA investigation focusing on interactions with Sovereign Wealth Funds.
- Conducted numerous anti-corruption internal investigations in Asia for large multinational companies, including matters throughout China, Malaysia, and Indonesia.
- Conducted an internal investigation on behalf of a global investment bank into hiring issues in China.
- Led extensive anti-corruption and anti-money laundering due diligence in connection with private equity and other investments in high risk countries around the world, including in China, India, Brazil, and Russia.
- Led anti-corruption risk assessments for more than 100 private equity portfolio companies around the world, including companies in China, India, Central and South America, Europe, and Africa.
- Developed and implemented anti-corruption compliance programs for several private equity firms and their global portfolio companies.
- Represented multiple major medical device manufacturers in federal criminal investigations into the companies’ marketing practices and relationships with physicians.
- Achieved a dismissal of a False Claims Act action alleging improper marketing practices against a multinational medical device manufacturer.
- Represented a major pharmaceutical company in several multi-defendant consumer protection actions brought by states’ attorneys general regarding Medicaid pricing fraud.
- Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers for Business (2015)
- Chambers Asia 2015: Up & Coming (2015)
- Global Investigations Review “40 under 40” (2014)
- Financial Times US Innovative Lawyers Report 2013 - Recognized Ropes & Gray’s web-based econometric Risk Matrix tool, developed by the firm’s anti-corruption and international risk team, as a “standout” product
- Euromoney LMG Women in Business Law -"Rising Star" (2013)
- Co-author, “Navigating Corruption Challenges in India,” The FCPA Report, (February 18, 2015)
- Co-author, “Corruption and Bribery Concerns Affecting Japanese Pharmaceutical Companies Operating in the United States,” New York Pharma Forum (January 2015)
- Quoted, “Creation of new Chinese enforcer shows will to continue corruption crackdown,” Global Investigations Review, (November 4, 2014)
- Co-author, “Tips for an Effective Anticorruption Monitoring Program,” Corporate Counsel (September 5, 2014)
- Co-Author, “Busting Bribery Post-Acquisition,” Private Equity International (August 20, 2014)
- Quoted, “Financial fraud multiplies damage of FCPA disclosures,” Global Investigations Review, June 11, 2014
- Co-author, “The Implications of the ‘‘Big Four’’ Suspension Ruling,”Bloomberg BNA Corporate Law & Accountability Report (March 14, 2014)
- Co-author, “China Anti-Bribery Rules Raise Questions For Life Sciences,”Law360 (February 27, 2014)
- Co-author, “M&A Litigation Goes Global,”Insights (May 2013)
- Co-author, “SEC’s Charges Against Chinese Affiliates Of U.S.-Based Accounting Firms Have Broad Implications,”Bloomberg BNA Securities Regulation & Law Report (April 2013)
- Presenter, “Focus on China’s Commercial Bribery Crackdown,” American Conference Institute’s 3rd Asia-Pacific Summit on Anti-Corruption, Compliance and Risk Management, Singapore (December 2014)
- Presenter, “Developments in International Anti-Corruption Law — Recent Enforcement Trends and Common Risk Areas in Asia,” Ropes & Gray Teleconference Briefing, Tokyo (September 2014)
- Presenter, “Lessons Learned Conducting Investigations in China,” Ropes & Gray Government Enforcement Roundtable, Hong Kong (September 2014)
- Presenter, “U.S. Antitrust & Anti-Corruption Enforcement,” Ropes & Gray Seminar co-hosted with The Japanese Institute of International Business Law, Tokyo (June 2014)
- Moderator, “The 2014 Anti-corruption Environment: What it Means for Doing Business in China,” Chambers and Partners General Counsel Seminar in association with Ropes & Gray, Hong Kong (February 2014)
- Presenter, “Distributor Management: Anti-corruption Risks and Best Practices,” Ropes & Gray Medical Device Roundtable: Distributor Management and Medical Device Tendering (July 2013)
- Panelist, “How to Establish an Effective Third Party Monitoring Program,” American Conference Institute’s 6th China Summit on Anti-Corruption (June 2013)
- Presenter, “Navigating the FCPA “Resource Guide”: Enforcement Trends and Compliance Tips,” Ropes & Gray webinar (November 2012)