Patrick M. Nash
Patrick Nash is a senior associate in the firm’s tax group, based in Chicago. Patrick advises private investment funds, multinational groups and other clients on the domestic and international tax aspects of complex business transactions including the merger, acquisition and disposition of business enterprises, bankruptcy and other restructurings, and capital transactions.
From 2013 to 2016 Patrick was resident in the firm’s Hong Kong office where he concentrated on cross-border private equity transactions in the PRC, Japan and Australia, and the formation and operation of investment funds in the Asia Pacific region.
Prior to rejoining the firm in 2013, Patrick served as Legislation Counsel for the Joint Committee on Taxation of the United States Congress, where he assisted members of the 111th and 112th Congresses and their staff with the development and analysis of legislative proposals and tax policy related to the taxation of passthrough entities, corporations, REITs and financial products.
- Represented Samsonite LLC in its acquisition of eBags, Inc., a leading online retailer of bags and related accessories for travel.
- Represented Mitsubishi Bank and its affiliates in a number of matters including the acquisitions of (i) of UBS Global Asset Management's administrative funds business and (ii) Capital Analytics, Neuberger Berman’s private equity fund administration business.
- Represented Baring Private Equity Asia in a number of transactions including its investments in (i) TELUS International a global business process and information technology outsourcing, (ii) Thomson Reuters’ IP & Science business and (iii) St. George’s University.
- Represented Cressey and Company in the acquisition of dental support organization D4C Dental Brands, Inc.
- Represented Gridiron Capital in its disposition of Performance Health, a leading manufacturer and supplier of consumer branded health, wellness and self-care products.
- Advised GHO Capital Partners in its acquisition of Caprion Biosciences, Inc., a specialist laboratory services company.
- Represented the underwriters in the $56 million initial public offering for CRISPR Therapeutics AG.
- Represented the underwriters in the $168 million initial public offering for Biohaven Pharmaceutical Holding Company Ltd.
- Represented Zai Lab Limited in its $172 million initial public offering of American depository shares.
- Represented Hutchison China MediTech (Chi-Med), a China-based health care group and one of the largest biotech companies in Asia, in its $101 million U.S. IPO and listing on NASDAQ. Bank of America Merrill Lynch and Deutsche Bank Securities acted as joint book runners for this offering. Established in 2000, Chi-Med is majority owned by the multinational conglomerate CK Hutchison Holdings Limited. Chi-Med was publicly listed on London’s AIM market in 2006, and is currently the only Asia-based company that is dual-listed in London and on NASDAQ
- Representing specialty orthopedics company Wright Medical Group, Inc. in its proposed all-stock, cross-border merger with Amsterdam-based Tornier N.V., a global medical device company focused on orthopedic surgical solutions (and the surviving company), with a combined equity value of $3.3 billion
- Advised Bain Capital in its acquisition of Australian franchiser Retail Zoo, which operates 294 stores in Australia and another 100 stores worldwide including Boost Juice Bars, Salsa’s Fresh Mex Grill and Cibo Espresso
- Advised Blackstone in connection with the financing for its US$625 million take private of China-based Pactera Technology International Ltd., including the offering of US$275 million 8% senior secured notes due 2021, a US$30 million offshore revolving facility, a US$45 million cash bridge facility and US$20 million equivalent PRC revolving facility
- Advised sovereign and institutional investors including Temasek Holdings, Pavilion Capital, Korea Investment Corporation and a Chinese sovereign wealth fund in connection with various fund investments worldwide
- Advised Becton Dickinson in its acquisition of GenCell Biosystems, a privately-held Irish biotech company.