Andrew O’Connor focuses his practice on government investigations, related litigation and complex securities suits. He has extensive experience representing companies and individuals in the healthcare and biotechnology industries.
Since joining Ropes & Gray, Andrew has represented clients in high-stakes civil and criminal matters involving the False Claims Act, anti-kickback laws, FDA regulations, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, and federal securities laws. Andrew has conducted numerous internal investigations and represented clients in resolving potential enforcement actions by the U.S. Department of Justice, state attorneys general and federal regulatory agencies. He has successfully represented clients in state and federal court, at both the district and appellate levels.
Andrew is a graduate of Yale University and Harvard Law School, where he served as an editor of the Harvard Law Review. He maintains an active pro bono practice, representing individuals in federal Immigration Court and state law matters.
Federal Civil & Criminal Investigations
- Represented international medical device manufacturer in multi-year criminal investigation into alleged kickbacks and Medicare fraud. Reached favorable settlement with the U.S. Department of Justice, HHS Office of Inspector General and other government agencies.
- Defended major pharmaceutical and medical products company in civil and criminal investigation by United States Attorney's Office and the Office of Consumer Protection Litigation of the U.S. Department of Justice into alleged off-label promotion and kickback arrangements, leading to favorable civil-only resolution.
- Represents large multinational pharmaceutical company in wide-ranging investigation of foreign bribery allegations.
- Represents international medical device company in wide-ranging government investigation into allegedly improper partnerships with healthcare providers.
- Represents major pharmaceutical manufacturer in potential civil penalties action by United States Attorney's Office for alleged regulatory reporting violations.
- Represented surgical implant manufacturer in connection with civil and criminal investigation into allegedly improper consulting relationships with physicians.
- Represented Chief Compliance Officer of medical device company in connection with federal grand jury investigation of healthcare fraud.
Qui Tam Litigation
- Defended medical device manufacturer in qui tam actions under the federal False Claims Act involving alleged kickbacks and over-billing, including successful motion to dismiss and favorable settlement of remaining claims.
- Successfully represented medical products and pharmaceutical company in action under California state qui tam statute alleging the submission of false claims to private insurers.
- Represents pharmaceutical manufacturer in federal false claims action alleging improper conduct during contract bidding process.
- Represented large multinational pharmaceutical company in consumer protection investigations by state Attorneys General into allegedly misleading direct-to-consumer advertising.
- Represented drug manufacturer in connection with municipal false claims investigation involving allegedly misleading promotion of branded and generic prescription drugs.
Securities Fraud & Shareholder Litigation
- Successfully argued motion to dismiss complaint against biotechnology and medical device company in securities fraud action involving allegedly misleading statements to investors.
- Represented biotechnology firm in securing dismissal of a securities class action involving allegedly false statements concerning FDA approval of the company’s flagship medical product. Successfully represented company in a challenge to the dismissal before the U.S. Court of Appeals.
- Represented executive officers in multi-billion dollar securities fraud class actions involving alleged accounting misstatements concerning exposure to subprime and other nontraditional mortgage-related securities.
- Successfully represented biotechnology company in defending against shareholder action threatening strategic merger with medical device company.
Corporate Compliance Counseling
- Advised corporate board of directors regarding compliance oversight responsibilities under securities laws and federal sentencing guidelines.
- Conducted compliance audit to identify potential regulatory vulnerabilities at mid-size pharmaceutical company.
- Co-author, “Five Questions Companies That Handle Controlled Substances Should Ask,” Bloomberg BNA’s Health Care Fraud Report (August 16, 2017)
- Co-author, “Corruption and the Greater Good: NGOs and International Compliance Risk,” The FCPA Report (June 7, 2017)