Alexandre H. Rene
Alex is co-chair of Ropes & Gray’s award-winning global anti-corruption and international risks practice and a member of the government enforcement practice group. Alex has extensive experience representing corporate entities and their executives in connection with litigation and investigations arising out of white collar criminal prosecutions, grand jury investigations, criminal antitrust investigations, and corporate compliance matters. A seasoned litigator who has successfully handled numerous cases in federal and state courts, Alex has also represented his clients in civil matters such as breach of contract, tortious interference, business conspiracy, fraud, criminal conversion, and forum non conveniens. Alex also spent two years on secondment in London advising primarily on anti-bribery issues.
Prior to entering private practice, Alex was an Assistant United States Attorney for the District of Columbia and a Trial Attorney in the Department of Justice’s (DOJ) Criminal Division, Fraud Section. While in the Fraud Section, Alex prosecuted matters involving mail, wire and procurement fraud, money laundering, and violations of the Travel Act and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), among other offenses.
- Represented multinational energy sector companies before the DOJ and SEC in investigations related to allegations of FCPA violations.
- Represented senior executives of another multinational energy sector company in a DOJ and SEC investigation into alleged FCPA violations.
- Represented Fortune 100 Corporation in internal investigation into alleged violations of domestic and international antibribery laws in Asia.
- Represented an executive before the Antitrust Division of the DOJ in charges related to allegations of price fixing and cartel activity in the Marine Hose investigation.
- Represented a senior executive of an international company against allegations of misconduct under the FCPA. The investigation involved both U.S. and foreign authorities.
- Obtained a declination from the Antitrust Division of the DOJ in relation to an investigation of criminal antitrust violations by a food industry executive.
- Co-author, “Navigating Corruption Challenges in India,” The FCPA Report, (February 18, 2015)
- “Trade Secret Traps for the Unwary: Potential Corp. Criminal Liability as U.S. Trade Secrets Enforcement Accelerates,” Bloomberg BNA Corporate Law & Accountability Report (September 12, 2014) (co-author)
- “Minimising Corruption Risks in African Investment Opportunities,” Financier Worldwide (July 2014) (co-author)
- “Investment Opportunities, Corruption Risks In Nigeria,”Law360 (May 12, 2014) (co-author)
- “Section 1504: A Burden For Resource Extraction Cos.,”Law360 (September 7, 2012) (co-author)
- “Anti-Corruption: Minimizing FCPA Risk on Two Fronts: Through Corporate Policy and Corporate Culture," Bloomberg Law Reports, (February 2012)
- “Importance of Effective Anti-Corruption Programmes,”International Law Office - White Collar Crime USA, (November 2009) (co-author)
- “Valuable U.S./U.K. Cooperation,”International Financial Law Review, (April 2009) (co-author)
- “Nowhere to Hide: The UK’s Enforcement of Foreign Bribery Laws is Long Overdue,” New Law Journal, (February 2009) (co-author)
- “Corruption and the SFO: Enforcement Practices,”Legal Week, (February 2009)
- “Honest Services Fraud—Not Just For Public Officials Anymore (Part II),”American Bar Association Trial Practice Journal, (Winter 2008) (co-author)
- “Honest Services Fraud—Not Just For Public Officials Anymore (Part I),”American Bar Association Trial Practice Journal, (Fall 2007)
- Presenter, “Tendencias de FCPA en América Latina para Empresas Farmacéuticas,” Cámara Argentina de Especialidades Medicinales, Buenos Aires, Argentina (May 27, 2016)
- Panelist, “Lava Jato Investigation and the U.S. Perspective,” Demarest Advogados, São Paulo, Brazil (May 23, 2016)
- Host, “Best Practices in Anti-corruption and Compliance,” Roundtable Discussion, Washington D.C. (May 2015)
- Speaker, “Risk Management Strategies for joint Ventures and Alliances,” Trace Forum, Washington DC, October 2011
- Moderator, “Government and Internal Investigations: Be Prepared When the Government Comes Knocking,” Association of Corporate Counsel Europe, Paris and London, November 2008
- Co-panelist, “Compliance Challenges: the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act,” Trace International Seminar, Denver, Colorado, February 2008