Michael focuses his practice primarily on transactional matters, representing private equity investors and strategic investors in the structuring and negotiation of leveraged buyouts, cross-border transactions, public and private mergers and acquisitions, PIPE investments and other direct investments. In addition, he advises private equity sponsors and their portfolio companies on intra-sponsor governance arrangements and complex equity structures. He also represents investment management firms in connection with strategic transactions including mergers and acquisitions, divestitures and restructurings. He has also worked with public and private companies providing general corporate law advice, and has advised companies and investors on corporate restructurings. Michael regularly works with private equity sponsors such as Bain Capital, TPG Capital and HIG Capital and with other companies such as Natixis Global Asset Management, Taylor Morrison, Aptalis Pharma Inc. and CRC Health Group.
- Represented H.I.G. Capital in its acquisition of Caraustar, a manufacturer of paper products.
- Represented Bain Capital in its $1 billion investment in Genpact, Ltd., a worldwide business process and technology management service provider.
- Represented TPG Capital in its $2.9 billion sale of Aptalis Holdings, a pharmaceutical company focused on developing treatments for cystic fibrosis and gastrointestinal disorders, to Forest Laboratories Inc.
- Represented a consortium of buyers, including H.I.G. Capital in the $223 million acquisition of Hooters of America Inc., the iconic restaurant chain.
- Represented TPG Capital and Taylor Morrison, a home building company, in its $628 million IPO.
- Represented TPG Capital in connection with the $955 million acquisition of Taylor Morrison.
- Represented Axcan Pharma Inc. in its $579 million acquisition of Eurand N.V.