Brian focuses on cross-border leveraged buyouts, mergers & acquisitions and growth equity investments, with a focus on transactions involving Chinese businesses. Brian regularly works with private equity sponsors such as Bain Capital and TPG Capital on transactions involving a broad range of industries including life sciences, technology, media, publishing, real estate and manufacturing. Brian has practiced in Hong Kong since 2004 and spent time in the Hong Kong offices of two major international law firms before joining Ropes & Gray in 2008. Prior to his time in Hong Kong, Brian was China Program Manager of the Rural Development Institute, a Seattle-based nonprofit organization focused on property rights reform in developing and transitional economy countries. He is fluent in written and spoken Mandarin.
- Advised Bain Capital in its acquisition of Camp Australia, a leading provider of before and after-school care programs in Australia.
- Advised Bain Capital in the Bain consortium’s acquisition of a majority equity stake in Carver Korea Co., Ltd.
- Advised Bain Capital in its purchase in equity interest of a leading Australian-based early education center operator.
- Advised CPPIB in its acquisition of an approximately 20% stake in Homeplus, Tesco’s South Korean business, for US$534 million. The fund was part of a consortium led by MBK Partners and Temasek. The total transaction value is approximately US$6 billion (KRW7.2 trillion) and is the largest Asia-Pacific private equity buyout in Korea to date. Named 2016 “M&A Deal of the Year” by The Asian Lawyer.
- Advised Baring Private Equity Asia in its acquisition of a 40 percent stake in Weetabix Food Company from Bright Food, a China state-owned food manufacturing company. Nominated for “M&A Deal of the Year” for 2016 by Asian Legal Business.
- Advised CPPIB in its co-investment with Anchor Equity Partners and KKR for a 46% stake in Ticket Monster Inc., a leading South Korea e-commerce company, from Groupon Inc. for approximately US$360 million.
- Advised Bain Capital in its acquisition of Australian franchiser Retail Zoo, which operates 294 stores in Australia and another 100 stores worldwide including Boost Juice Bars, Salsa’s Fresh Mex Grill and Cibo Espresso.
- Advised AlpInvest in the proposed US$818 million take private of AsiaInfo-Linkage, a NASDAQ-listed telecommunications company with primary operations in China.
- Advised Australia-based MYOB and its parent company Bain Capital in the buyout of BankLink New Zealand.
- Advised Bain Capital in its US$1.25 billion acquisition of MYOB, Australia’s largest business software developer. This transaction has been the third-largest private equity divestment ever in Australia.
- Advised TPG in its investments in ShangPharma, a Chinese pharmaceutical contract research organization currently listed on the NYSE, NT Pharma, a leading pharmaceutical marketing and distribution services provider, and China Vogue Casualwear, a Chinese manufacturer and distributor of casual sportswear products.
- Advised Bain Capital in connection with the US$489 million sale of Feixiang Chemicals, one of China's leading makers of amines and surfactants, to Rhodia.
- Advised a global multi-strategy investor in multiple investments in PRC-based media companies.