Daniel L. Stanco
Dan Stanco, a partner in Ropes & Gray’s real estate investments & transactions group, focuses his practice on real estate joint ventures, investments and finance for all asset classes. Throughout his career, Dan has represented a broad range of clients, including institutional real estate investors, developers, private equity funds, hedge funds, sovereign wealth funds, public and private REITs, and investment and commercial banks in complex U.S. and international real estate transactions. Dan has extensive experience in advising clients in capital markets transactions, repurchase facilities, joint ventures, co-investments, distressed acquisitions and restructurings, mortgage and mezzanine financings, hotel management, condominium developments, leasing and portfolio transactions. In addition, Dan is actively involved in multiple charitable initiatives as a member of the board of directors of The Feed Foundation, counsel to a New York City charter school and former advisor to various foundations supported by the United Nations.
- Representing publicly traded and private real estate investment trusts, as well as various private equity credit funds in negotiating and closing over $15 billion in master repurchase facilities, note-on-note facilities and secured warehouse facilities across from multiple major commercial and investment banks to finance commercial real estate loans secured by real estate in the United States, United Kingdom and throughout Europe, as well as in the individual financing of over 250 such loans under the various facilities.
- Represented an international financial firm in connection with its $415 million investment in the $1.2 billion, 90-story luxury condominium development at 432 Park Avenue, New York, including the creation of multiple onshore and offshore investment vehicles.
- Represented a major New York based investment fund in the creation of joint ventures with various regional operating partners and the subsequent acquisition and financing of multiple office, hotel and resort properties and distressed loan purchases in major markets throughout the southeast, southwest and west coast.
- Represented a preeminent global hedge fund in a joint venture with a New York real estate private equity fund and in the origination of two mezzanine loans totaling over $213 million as part of the $480 million financing of the acquisition of the Park Lane Hotel in New York City.
- Represented a major hedge fund in a joint venture and subsequent acquisition, development and financing of a luxury pre-war condominium in New York City.
- Represented an Italian private equity fund in its acquisition of and joint venture investments in multiple commercial, mixed use and multi-family properties and ground-up condominium developments throughout New York City and the Midwest.
- Represented a group of affiliated publicly traded REITs in a series of acquisitions of commercial, medical and government office buildings in multiple U.S. markets, including a Class A office building in Chicago.
- Represented PAVE Academy Charter School pro bono in its acquisition and development of a 40,000 square foot elementary school in Red Hook, Brooklyn with financing negotiated with the New York City School Construction Authority.
- Co-author, “Creditors’ Rights Coverage Decertified by ALTA and Withdrawn by Title Insurance Companies,” Pratt’s Journal of Bankruptcy Law (May 2010)
- “The Proper Extent of Liability a Condominium Unit Owner Should Have for Injuries Caused by a Limited Common Element,” 19 St. John’s Journal of Legal Commentary 637 (2005)
- Co-author, “Compliance Requirements of Commercial Landlords under the Patriot Act and Executive Order 13224,” www.CoreNetGlobal.org (December 2005)