Ed is a partner in our corporate general group and heads our Asia real estate investment and finance practice. He has an intricate knowledge of the Asia real estate market, having spent considerable time in Tokyo, Shanghai and Hong Kong. He advises clients on real estate investment and finance matters in Asia, with a focus on China and Japan.
Ed has extensive experience in acquisitions and dispositions, private equity and institutional investments, limited recourse and secured financings, REITs, asset and property management, leasing, sale-leasebacks, joint ventures, co-investment platforms, restructurings, non-performing loan portfolio management, and general transaction structuring. He has represented banks and investors in numerous financings, with an aggregate total value of several billion USD. In addition, Ed acts for real estate and opportunity funds, as well as asset managers, on direct and indirect (fund to fund) commercial and residential property investments.
He has represented banks and investors in numerous real estate financings, with an aggregate total value of several billion USD. In addition, Ed acts for real estate and opportunity funds, as well as asset managers, on direct and indirect (fund to fund) commercial and residential property investments.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Ed was a partner at a major international firm and a member of the commercial real estate lending team of an international bank in Japan.
- Advised the lender in a financing of a commercial property in Hong Kong held through a joint venture controlled by an American alternative investment manager.
- Advised a global credit fund in the acquisition of a logistics facility in Korea.
- Advised a global insurance company on structuring real estate investments across Asia.
- Advised the manager of Spring REIT in a $500 million financing of a property in Beijing.
- Advising a leading global bank in a $150 million financing of a commercial property in Shanghai.
- Advising a leading global bank in a limited recourse financing of a property in Hong Kong.
- Advising a private equity fund in the disposition of its interest in a Japan hotel portfolio.
The following transactions were completed before joining Ropes & Gray:
- Advised a bank in the $75+ million limited recourse financing of a commercial property in Suzhou.
- Advised a private equity fund and an investment bank in their $125+ million joint venture investment with a PRC developer into a mixed-use residential and commercial development project in China.
- Advised a private equity fund in the establishment and listing of Spring REIT in Hong Kong.
- Advised a private equity fund in its acquisition of a hotel in Osaka through a TMK structure.
- Advised a bank in the $250+ million limited recourse financing of an office tower in Shanghai.
- Advised a fund in the $250+ million financing of a shopping centre in Dalian.
- Advised a private equity fund in the $500+ million limited recourse financing of an office property in Beijing.
- Advised a major real estate fund in several transactions for the acquisition, financing and disposition of properties across Japan through TMK and TK structures, representing investments exceeding $1 billion in the aggregate.
- Advised an investment bank in providing $3+ billion in financing for properties across Japan, including a $1 billion golf portfolio financing, a $1 billion office portfolio financing and a $500 million hotel portfolio financing.
- Advised a global insurance and investment advisory company in several joint ventures for the acquisition of commercial properties in Taiwan, Singapore and Japan.
- Advised a bank in providing a $130+ million mezzanine financing for an office and retail property in Korea.