John E. Sorkin
John advises a broad range of clients on U.S. and cross-border M&A transactions, including strategic and private equity acquisitions and dispositions, leveraged buyouts and other transactional and corporate governance matters. He also regularly counsels many of the world’s leading investment banks on financial advisory matters. John has been a frequent speaker on M&A and tender offer transaction topics and has served as adjunct professor at Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, where he led a class on private equity transactions.
John is recognized as a leading lawyer for M&A and private equity transactions by numerous industry guides, including Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, The Legal 500 and International Financial Law Review where he is described as “an extremely skillful practitioner” with a “reputation for work in leveraged buyouts,” as well as “responsive, hard-working, well-informed and thorough.”
- Virgin Media Inc. in its $24 billion acquisition by Liberty Global, Inc.*
- New Mountain Capital in its
- Investment in Topix Pharmaceuticals a leading provider of innovative therapeutic and cosmetic skin care products
- Acquisition of healthcare information services provider HealthPort Technologies (now called CIOX Health) as well as HealthPort’s subsequent acquisition of IOD Incorporated and HealthPort-IOD’s acquisition of ECS*
- Acquisition of publicly-traded consumable chemical packaged goods company Zep Inc.*
- Acquisition of Covidien’s specialty chemicals business, now called Avantor*
- Madison International Realty in a PIPE investment in Thomas Properties Group*
- Media General in its acquisition of Young Broadcasting*
- BlackRock and KKR in a majority investment in Home Partners of America Inc., a single-family rental company backed by Lew Ranieri*
- Camber Corporation in its acquisition of the IT consulting services business of Avaya Government Solutions*
John also serves as outside counsel to a number of investment banks in their capacity as financial advisor in a wide variety of M&A transactions, including the following recent transactions:
- Sale of Tobira Therapeutics, Inc. to Allergan plc
- Sale of Sagent Pharmaceuticals, Inc. to Nichi-Iko Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
- Luminex Corporation’s acquisition of Nanosphere, Inc.
- Combination of Zais Financial Corp. and Sutherland Asset Management Corporation
- Combination of the beverage alcohol distribution businesses of Sunbelt Holding and Wirtz Beverage Group
- ON Semiconductor’s acquisition of Fairchild Semiconductor
- Dropdown of interest in Portland Natural Gas Transmission System to TC Pipelines, LP
- Snyder’s-Lance’s acquisition of Diamond Foods
- Merger of Delhaize Group SA with Koninklijke Ahold NV
- Avago Technologies’ acquisition of Broadcom Corporation
- Sale of Meru Networks to Fortinet*
- Endo International’s acquisition of Par Pharmaceuticals*
- Combination of POZEN Inc. and Tribute Pharmaceuticals Canada Inc.
- Sale of Audience, Inc. to Knowles Corporation*
- Macerich’s defense of an unsolicited takeover proposal by Simon Property Group*
- Sale of Auxilum Pharmaceuticals to Endo International*
- Sale of Atlas Energy to Targa Resources*
*Representations completed prior to joining Ropes & Gray.