Paul S. Scrivano
Paul S. Scrivano is global head of the firm’s mergers & acquisitions practice. The world’s leading companies turn to Paul for guidance in executing their most complex mergers and acquisitions transactions. Paul has extensive experience with a broad range of U.S. and cross-border transactions, including mergers, tender and exchange offers, stock and asset acquisitions, divestitures and joint ventures, and has advised on more than 100 public company deals. He is a veteran of numerous proxy contests and regularly advises corporate boards and committees in transactional and high-profile corporate governance matters and takeover defense strategies.
Paul is known for his broad skill set and experience steering multibillion-dollar deals in the technology, health care, pharmaceuticals, life sciences, consumer products, financial services, oil and gas, chemicals, energy, and telecommunications industries, among others. He also regularly advises private equity firms and investment banks in M&A transactions.
Top legal publications and directories, including The Legal 500 U.S., consistently recognize Paul as a leading M&A practitioner. In 2015, he was named “California M&A Lawyer of the Year” at the ACQ Global Awards, and he received a “California Lawyer of the Year” award in 2014 from California Lawyer magazine. He has been named one of the “Top 100 Lawyers in California” by The Daily Journal, an “Americas Top 50 Lawyer” at the M&A Atlas Awards, a “Life Sciences MVP” by Law360 and a “Super Lawyer” by Law & Politics Media Inc. for both the New York Metro area and Northern California. Paul is frequently quoted in the press on M&A issues, and his deal work is cited by leading news and industry publications.
- Representing Atlantic Media, Inc., a national media company that includes Quartz, National Journal Group, and Government Executive Media Group, in the acquisition of a majority ownership stake in The Atlantic by Emerson Collective, which was founded and is run by Laurene Powell Jobs
- Represented Celanese Corporation in its acquisition of the nylon compounding division of Nilit B.V.
- Representation of Mentor Graphics Corporation in its $4.5 billion acquisition by Siemens AG
Notable transactions in which Paul was involved prior to joining the firm include:
- Representation of Alaska Air Group, Inc. in its $4 billion acquisition of Virgin America Inc.
- Representation of BB&T Corporation in its $1.8 billion acquisition of National Penn Bancshares, Inc.
- Representation of Dealertrack Technologies, Inc. in:
- its $4 billion sale to Cox Automotive, Inc., by way of a cash tender offer followed by a second step merger
- its $1 billion cash and stock acquisition of Dealer Dot Com, Inc.
- Representation of Microsemi Corporation in its successful $2.5 billion “deal jump” for PMC-Sierra, Inc., resulting in the termination of PMC-Sierra’s existing merger agreement with Skyworks Solutions
- Representation of Bear Stearns Merchant Banking in its negotiated spinout and transition to independence from JPMorgan Chase during the 2008 Financial Crisis
- Representation of the Independent Directors of TRI Pointe Homes, Inc. in connection with TRI Pointe's $2.7 billion combination with the homebuilding division of Weyerhaeuser Company in a reverse Morris Trust transaction
- Representation of Honeywell International Inc. in its acquisition of Aviaso AG, an international aviation software company
- Representation of Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. in its acquisition of NeuroLogica Corp., a leading designer, developer and manufacturer of computed tomography (CT) machines, including its world class portable CT scanners
- Quoted, “Disney-Netflix split ‘not a welcomed development’,” CNBC (August 9, 2017)
- Quoted, “Potential Scripps, Discovery Merger Shows Seismic Media Shift,” Bloomberg BNA’s Antitrust on Bloomberg Law (July 28, 2017)
- Quoted, “Media Mergers About to Heat Up: Top M&A Lawyer,” The Deal (July 21, 2017)
- Quoted, “Activist Target: Why Gannett Could Take Another Stab at Tronc,” The Deal (July 21, 2017)
- Quoted, “Buyers Struggle To Stomach Valuation Gap Amid Uncertainty,” Law360 (July 6, 2017)
- Quoted, “Mentor Taps Longtime Atty For $4.5B 'Hell Or High Water' Sale,” Law360 (June 15, 2017)
- Quoted, “People (Dis)Pleaser: Job Cuts Core to Making Deals Pay Off,” Ignites (June 15, 2017)
- Quoted, “For What It’s Worth: Growth Questions Complicate M&A Valuation Talks,” Ignites (June 13, 2017)
- Quoted, “Shareholder activism prompts rise in carve-outs,” International Financial Law Review (May 3, 2017)
- Quoted, “Anthem-Cigna Deal Rejection Highlights Difficulty of Megamergers,” Bloomberg BNA (May 2, 2017)
- Quoted, “Delaware Rundown: What You Missed In Q1,” Law360 (April 11, 2017)
- Quoted, “Pharma Companies Turn to Deals Over Development, Top Lawyer Says,” Bloomberg BNA: Corporate Law & Accountability Report (April 4, 2017)
- TV Interview, “Deals Report: Semiconductor, Health Care M&A Outlook,” Bloomberg Markets (April 3, 2017)