William M. Shields
Will Shields is co-chair of the private equity transactions group and a partner in the Boston office. His practice focuses on representing private equity firms and public and private companies in mergers and acquisitions, leveraged buyouts and other direct investments. Will also represents investment management firms in connection with strategic transactions including mergers and acquisitions, divestitures and restructurings. Will regularly works with private equity sponsor clients such as Bain Capital, Gauge Capital, Kohlberg & Co. and TPG Capital and with their portfolio companies.
- Represented Bain Capital in its investment in TOMS Shoes.
- Represented TPG it its $3 billion sale of Aptalis Pharma to Forest Laboratories.
- Represented Bain Capital in its acquisition of Canada Goose.
- Represented Kohlberg & Co. in its sale of Packaging Dynamics Corporation.
- Represented Kohlberg & Co. in its sale of Phillips Medisize to Golden Gate Capital.
- Represented Bain Capital in its $1 billion investment in Genpact, Ltd., a worldwide business process and technology management service provider.
- Represented TPG Capital in its $1.9 billion acquisition of Par Pharmaceuticals.
- Represented TPG Capital in its sale of Fenwal to Fresenius AG.
- Represented TPG Capital in its $1.9 billion tender offer for Immucor, Inc.
- Represented Axcan Pharma Inc. in its $579 million acquisition of Eurand N.V.
- Represented Bain Capital in teaming with Hellman & Friedman on the proposed $2.15 billion acquisition of Neuberger Berman and related asset management businesses of Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc.
- Represented Dunkin’ Brands, Inc in its $1.9 billion dividend recapitalization transaction.
- Represented Ashmore Group plc in its acquisition of Emerging Markets Management.
- Represented Affiliated Managers Group Inc. in its acquisition of Highbury Financial, the public company parent of Aston Asset Management.
- Represented Highland Capital in its fund adoption transaction with GE Asset Management.
- Quoted, “GPs grow big insurance platforms through small acquisitions,” Buyouts (November 23, 2015)
- Quoted, “Capital Calls: With exits up, PE add-ons slow,” The Deal (July 24, 2015)
- Quoted, “Sponsor-Backed IPO Market On Fire; More Deals Queued,” Buyouts (June 3, 2013)