Paul Tang is an associate in the private equity transaction group of Ropes & Gray and a registered foreign lawyer in the Hong Kong office.
Paul has represented private equity sponsors and private equity backed portfolio companies in growth capital investments, buyouts, joint ventures and dispositions in Asia Pacific, Europe, North America and Africa. Paul also has extensive experience in advising major multi-national corporate clients on strategic investments in China as well as in advising Chinese enterprises on their overseas acquisitions. He has advised clients on a broad range of sectors including TMT, health care, food and beverage, financial institutions, industrials and resources.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Paul worked at a leading international law firm in its London and Beijing offices.
- Advised Bain Capital in the Bain consortium’s US$ multi-million acquisition of a majority equity stake in Carver Korea Co., Ltd. Carver is a Korean cosmetics company.
- Advised NetEase in its equity investment in Maxwin, which engages in the retail business of casual and sportswear apparel in China
- Advised CMC Capital Partners in its investment in Yitiao, a Chinese online video content producer and e-commerce start-up.
- Advised LINE Corporation in the establishment of a US$ multi-million cross-border game development joint venture in Hong Kong with a leading Chinese game developer.
- Advised Asia-IO Acquisition Fund L.P. in the acquisition of the controlling interest (55.17%) in Daiwa Associate Holdings Limited (1037.HK), a company listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange that specializes in electronics component manufacturing and distribution. The transaction triggered an unconditional general offer to the remaining shareholders by Asia-IO Acquisition Fund.
- Advised The Carlyle Group in its purchase of a stake in Metropolis Healthcare Limited, a Mumbai-based chain of pathology laboratories, from Dr. GSK Velu and affiliates.
- Advised a regional private equity fund in its investment in preference shares issued by a garment/textile manufacturing company operating in China, Cambodia and Myanmar.
- Advised a global investment bank in the acquisition of core franchisees of two leading branded quick service restaurant chains operating hundreds of outlets in India and Sri Lanka.
Transactions completed prior to joining Ropes & Gray:
- Represented a leading pan-emerging market private equity house on its equity divestment from an Africa bank.
- Represented EQT on its various acquisitions in China and Europe.
- Represented International Finance Corporation on its equity investment in a leading biopesticides producer in China.
- Represented Beijing Motor on its issuance of 12% of share capital to Daimler and its technology cooperation with Daimler.
- Represented Chinalco, a Chinese state-owned mining conglomerate, on its $19.5bn investment in Rio Tinto and its acquisition of 12% of Rio Tinto.
- Represented Dragone Entertainment on its establishment of various joint ventures with Wanda, a major real estate company in China.