Michael Yangming Xiao is an associate and a registered foreign lawyer in the Hong Kong office. His practice focuses on anti-bribery and anti-corruption investigations, internal compliance investigations, and compliance risk management. Michael also has experience in international commercial arbitration.
Prior to joining the firm, Michael was a dispute resolution associate at a leading international law firm, where he assisted in a variety of multi-jurisdictional investigations and international commercial arbitrations in New York, London, and Hong Kong.
- Conducted internal investigations related to anti-bribery, anti-corruption, and embezzlement for Fortune 100 multinational life sciences companies
- Advised one of the world’s largest hotel companies, on a proactive internal investigation undertaken by our client linked to its operations in China
- Conducted an anti-corruption internal investigation for a U.S.-based international animal health company
- Advised multiple international investment banking, asset management and private equity firms on anti-corruption, anti-money laundering and trade compliance due diligence for investments in Asia
Transactions completed prior to joining Ropes & Gray:
- Advised on anti-fraud and anti-money laundering compliance with respect to an international money services business with agent locations in more than 200 countries
- Advised a German pharmaceutical company in its internal investigation regarding potential non-compliant practices in Vietnam
- Represented a US pharmaceutical company in a multi-year Foreign Corrupt Practices Act investigation led by the US Department of Justice and the US Securities and Exchange Commission, as well as in related internal investigations
- Represented an African state entity in an ICC arbitration against a Japanese construction company arising from a major infrastructure project
- Author, “Deferred/Non Prosecution Agreements: Effective Tools to Combat Corporate Crime,” Cornell Journal of Law and Public Policy Vol. 23 No. 1