Colleen A. Conry
Colleen Conry focuses her practice on white collar criminal defense and complex civil litigation. Colleen has extensive experience in representing multinational corporations and their executives in government investigations of potential violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, Food Drug and Cosmetic Act, and the various securities fraud statutes, as well as criminal prosecutions for economic espionage or theft of trade secrets. Colleen also advises clients on internal investigations and compliance matters and has worked with clients around the globe across the health care, life sciences, financial services, manufacturing, and telecommunications industries. She worked with her team to obtain a judgment of acquittal at the close of the government’s case for a former Associate General Counsel at a major pharmaceutical company who was charged with obstruction of justice and making false statements in connection with an FDA inquiry into the company’s marketing practices.
Prior to joining the firm, Colleen served as a Senior Litigation Counsel in the Fraud Section of the Criminal Division in the United States Department of Justice. As a federal prosecutor, she investigated and tried several of the Department’s largest and most important white collar matters, including United States v. Nacchio, a four week insider trading jury trial of the former CEO of Qwest Communications International, Inc., relating to the sale of $52 million in stock, and United States v. Scrushy, a five month securities fraud and money laundering jury trial of the former CEO and Chairman of HealthSouth Corporation in connection with his alleged role in a $2.7 billion accounting scheme. In 2007, Colleen received the Attorney General’s Award for Distinguished Service and the Federal Bureau of Investigation Director’s Annual Award for Outstanding Criminal Investigation.
Prior to joining the Criminal Division, Colleen served for seven years in the Commercial Litigation Branch of the Civil Division where she tried multiple cases involving claims against the government in excess of $3 billion.
- Secured a Deferred Prosecution Agreement for a Korea-based manufacturer in connection with a two-year DOJ and FBI investigation of alleged criminal violations of U.S. trade secret laws involving a company’s purported confidential and proprietary information.
- Obtained judgment of acquittal at trial of former Assistant General Counsel of major pharmaceutical company in DOJ prosecution of obstruction and false statements charges.
- Conducted multi-jurisdictional due diligence review and internal investigation on behalf of multinational pharmaceutical company in connection with major acquisition.
- Conducted internal investigation of multinational medical device manufacturer’s operations in South America in connection with DOJ and SEC inquiries of potential FCPA violations.
- Developed a detailed FCPA risk assessment and compliance program, and related anticorruption training program, for a multinational corporation headquartered in France with more than 25,000 employees.
- Developed FCPA risk assessment and compliance program for multinational private equity firm.
- Represented in-house counsel in DOJ and SEC investigation of possible FCPA violations in EU telecommunications industry.
- Represented former country manager in DOJ and SEC investigation of possible FCPA violations in Nigerian oil and gas industry.
- Represented Chairman and CEO of medical device manufacturer in DOJ investigation of potential off label promotional activities.
- Represented and obtained misdemeanor plea for former Department of Labor employee in DOJ’s investigation of inappropriate gifts and meals received from former lobbyist Jack Abramoff.
- Co-Author, “Deciphering The Scope Of Competing Trade Secret Standards,” Law360 (April 4, 2017)
- Quoted, “Korean Companies Active in Global Financial Markets Are Not Prepared for FCPA,” Dong-A Ilbo (June 18, 2015)
- Co-Author, “Loretta Lynch – The First AG with Serious FCPA Experience,” Law360 (June 4, 2015)
- Quoted, “The FCPA in 2014: A Record Fine, Little Legal Change,” The Wall Street Journal (December 30, 2014)
- Co-author, “Trade Secret Traps for the Unwary: Potential Corp. Criminal Liability as U.S. Trade Secrets Enforcement Accelerates,” Bloomberg BNA Corporate Law and Accountability Report (September 12, 2014)
- Co-author, “The Aftermath of Bangladesh: Best Practices in Foreign Markets,” Chain Store Age (August 5, 2013)
- Quoted, “White Collar Cases To Watch In 2013,” Law360 (January 1, 2013)
- Quoted, “Bill Summary: S. 3642, Protections for Trade Secrets,” Bloomberg Government (December 18, 2012)
- Colleen A. Conry, “Complying with the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act in the Global Healthcare Industry,” J. Health & Life Sci. L. (April 2010)
- Co-author, “Discovery Double-bind: Compliance with U.S. Discovery Obligations and Foreign Data Privacy Laws,” published in conjunction with the AHLA Annual Meeting, Washington, D.C. (June 2009)
- Speaker, “Outlook 2017: The New Administration and Its Impact on Life Sciences and Health Care,” Ropes & Gray Teleconference (January, 2017)
- Panelist, 17th Annual Pharmaceutical and Medical Device Compliance Congress, Washington, D.C., October 2016
- Presenter, “Criminal Liability Exposure for Food Retailers & Manufacturers: Emerging Trends in Government Enforcement,” Food Marketing Institute (FMI) 2016 Legal Conference, Chicago, IL, June 2016
- Panelist, “Lava Jato Investigation and the U.S. Perspective,” Demarest Advogados, São Paulo, Brazil, May 23, 2016
- Panelist, “Exploring the Career and Leadership Issues Raised in Lean-In: Women, Work and the Will to Lead by Sheryl Sandberg, Women’s luncheon, São Paulo, Brazil, May 23, 2016
- Presenter, “Designing an Effective and Efficient Anti-Corruption Compliance Program,” Brazilian Institute of Petroleum, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, May 20, 2016
- Presenter, “FTI Breakfast Roundtable,” Chediak Advogados, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, May 20, 2016
- Presenter, “Acordos de Delação Premiada nos Estados Unidos e no Brasil,” Koury Lopes Advogados, São Paulo, Brazil, May 19, 2016
- Panelist, on Corruption in the Ex-U.S. Formularies at CBI's 13th Annual Pharmaceutical Compliance Congress, Washington, D.C., April 2016
- Presenter, “Critical Issues in Trade Secrets & Economic Espionage,” Ropes & Gray West Coast Lunchtime Legal Briefing Teleconference, March 2016
- Panelist, ALI-CLE’s “Recent Trends in FCPA and Other Anti-Corruption Enforcement in the U.S. and Abroad,” via telephone seminar and audio webcast, New York, October 2015
- Panelist, “Stolen Secrets: Defending Economic Espionage and Computer Crime Cases,” NACDL’s Defending the White Collar Case Seminar, Fordham Law School in New York City, October 2015
- Panelist, “Anti-Corruption in the Life Sciences - Trends in Emerging Markets,” AvaMed, 2015
- Host, “Best Practices in Anti-corruption and Compliance,” Roundtable Discussion, Washington D.C., May 2015
- Panelist, “Plenary Session: Year in Review” and “FCPA Matters: Pushing the Envelope on Enforcement and Penalties,” American Bar Association, Ninth Annual National Institute on Securities Fraud, New Orleans, LA, November 13-14, 2014
- Co-panelist, “The FCPA and Beyond: Navigating Global Compliance Risks and Government Investigations in the New International Economy”, Corporate Counsel Institute, Boston, MA, October 2014
- Panelist, “The Nuts and Bolts of Internal Corporate Investigations: How the Experts Do It,” ABA’s Sixth Annual National Institute on the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, Washington, D.C., September 18-20, 2013
- Presenter, “Navigating the FCPA “Resource Guide”: Enforcement Trends and Compliance Tips,” Ropes & Gray Webinar, November 2012
- Panelist, “An Exploration of Ethical Issues Raised by Stevens, Stryker Biotech and Similar Cases,” FDLI's 55th Annual Conference, Washington, D.C., April 24-25, 2012
- Presenter, “Recent Trends in SEC Enforcement,” Accounting Conferences and Seminars, Chantilly, VA, April 27, 2012
- Panelist, “Borderless Compliance – Capitalizing on new markets while facing a ‘borderless’ transnational regulatory environment,” PwC Webinar, New York, NY, March 29, 2012
- Panelist, “Current Criminal Trends: The Prosecution and Acquittal of Lauren Stevens,” NACDL’s 32nd Annual Advanced Criminal Law Seminar, Aspen, Colorado, January 18, 2012
- Panelist, "Personal Accountability and Individual Liability of In-house Counsel and Chief Compliance Officers and Exclusions from Federal Health Programs – Lessons of the Stevens Case" and “Best Practices to Avoid Individual Liability and Exclusion,” Twelfth Annual Pharmaceutical Regulatory and Compliance Congress and Best Practices Forum, Washington, D.C., November 2011
- Panelist, “Prosecuting and Defending Individuals in White Collar Criminal Cases,” Chicago Bar Association, Corporate Law Department’s Committee, Chicago, June 2011
- Panelist, “Representing Cooperators in Criminal Cases,” DC Bar, Washington D.C., November 2010
- Panelist, “The Changes in Health Care and Their Impact on Corporations,” The Fourteenth Annual Corporate Counsel Institute: The Obama Administration and the Corporation’s Legal Concerns, Washington, D.C., March 2010
- Panelist, “Developing a Global Approach for Third-Party Due Diligence Programs,” Pharmaceutical Regulatory and Compliance Congress and Best Practices Forum, Washington, D.C., November 2009
- Panelist, “Internal Controls and Remedial Measures: What is the Government’s Role?” ABA National Institute on Securities Fraud, Washington, D.C., October 2009
- Panelist, “Global Compliance Challenges for Drug and Device Entities and Their Counsel,” AHLA Annual Meeting, Washington, D.C., June 2009
- Panelist, “Representation of Pharmaceutical Clients during International Investigations,” Third International Pharmaceutical Regulatory and Compliance Congress and Best Practices Forum, Rome, May 2009
- Panelist, “Media Impact on Litigation in the 21st Century,” Washington College of Law Trial Advocacy Program Conference, Washington, D.C., October 2007
- Moderator, “Accounting Fraud: The Latest Trends and Cases,” 2nd Annual National Institute on Securities Fraud, Washington, D.C., October 2007