Edward G. Black
Ed Black is co-head of Ropes & Gray's intellectual property transactions and technology, media & telecommunications practice groups. He is a corporate and intellectual property attorney who represents companies operating in the fields of technology, media, telecom, investment management, and consumer branded products in both the management of strategic intangible assets, and transactions related to strategic intangible assets. These transactions include mergers, acquisitions, asset transactions, joint ventures and alliances, collaborations, licensing and other arrangements. Ed's clients include hedge funds, technology companies, branded product companies, health care management organizations, financial services companies, media organizations and private equity investors. Ed remains active with many trade and professional associations where he is a frequent speaker on intellectual property, media, technology, and the operation of businesses utilizing intangible assets and proprietary rights.
- Intellectual Asset Management – A Guide to the World’s 300 Leading IP Strategists (2014)
- Best Lawyers in America (2013-2015)
- Managing IP – “IP Star” (2013-2014)
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business (2011-2015)
- IAM Patent 1000 – The World's Leading Patent Practitioners (2012-2015)
- Legal 500 (2013-2015)
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers (2013)
- Quoted, “Artists and publishers seek reform of US music licensing,” Financial Times (Aug. 27, 2014)
- Quoted, “5 Firms Stand Out For Nonlitigation IP Work, Survey Says,” Law360 (July 6, 2014)
- James M. Wilton, Edward Black, Patrick Diaz and Stephen Moeller-Sally, "Tackling Rights Of Trademark Licensees In Bankruptcy," Law360 (September 20, 2012)
- Panelist and Panel Moderator, “IP Securitization: Best Practices today” IP Finance 2015 Conference (May 14, 2015)
- Speaker, “Shared Patent Rights: Lessons From the Front Line – Innovative Ways for Companies to Defend or Support the Commercialization of Products Using Shared Patent Rights,” Association of Corporate Counsel – Bay Area Chapter (March 17-18, 2015)
- Ed Black discussed the growing importance of intellectual property in valuations and transactions in a December 2011 Merger Market webinar in association with IntraLinks. To see the highlights of his presentation, please click here.