Laura G. Hoey
Laura Hoey is co-leader of the firm’s global Litigation and Enforcement practice group and the firm's Health Care and Life Sciences industry group. Laura is also a former office managing partner for the Chicago office and former co-leader of the Government Enforcement and White Collar group. Laura combines her trial and investigative skills as a former federal health care fraud prosecutor with extensive experience in the health care industry. Laura is known for creative and tenacious defenses and for efficient, well-managed internal investigations.
She represents clients in the pharmaceutical, medical device, diagnostic laboratory, and dental industries who are facing government investigations and Congressional inquiries. Laura conducts internal investigations in all types of government and regulatory compliance matters including:
- potential violations of whistleblower and anti-kickback statutes and of anti-corruption and anti-bribery statutes, including the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act,
- alleged health care fraud,
- alleged violations of the False Claims Act,
- alleged improper marketing of pharmaceutical products and medical devices for uses for which they have not been approved by the FDA (off-label marketing), and
- alleged violations of privacy and cybersecurity laws, including HIPAA.
As a federal prosecutor, Laura prosecuted health care fraud, kickback violations, Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act violations, document destruction and obstruction cases, and criminal HIPAA violations, as well as tax fraud and public corruption. She was first chair in five trials, winning convictions in all five.
In 2008, Laura received the Department of Health and Human Services Office of the Inspector General’s Integrity Award.
Laura is a member of the firm's Women's Forum.