Tax Exempt Deferred Compensation
Abby regularly advises her tax-exempt clients regarding the design, implementation, and compliance aspects of a wide range of programs, including supplemental executive retirement plans, 457(b) plans, executive severance plans, individual employment and separation agreements, split-dollar arrangements, and cash incentive opportunities. She also assists clients in developing and implementing tenured faculty early retirement incentives.
Abby assists her governmental clients in navigating issues and opportunities unique to governmental employers. In particular, she supports clients in maximizing retirement benefit opportunities available to employees of governmental employers.
- Represented Cubist Pharmaceuticals, Inc., a leading global biopharmaceutical company, in its $9.5 billion acquisition by Merck.
- Represented Johnson & Johnson in the benefits aspects of its acquisitions and divestitures, including its $1 billion buyout of Aragon Pharmaceuticals, Inc., a discovery and development firm focused on drugs to treat hormonally-driven cancers.
- Represented Entegris, Inc., a worldwide developer, manufacturer and supplier of products and materials used in processing and manufacturing in the microelectronics and other high-technology industries, in its $1.15 billion acquisition of ATMI, Inc.
- Represented GT Advanced Technologies in a number of acquisitions including Thermal Technology LLC, Confluence Solar, Inc. and Crystal Systems, Inc.
- Represented Keurig Green Mountain in a number of acquisitions and disposition transactions, including the acquisitions of Van Houtte, Inc., Diedrich Coffee, and Timothy’s Coffees of the World, Inc., and the sale of Filterfresh.
- Represented Salient Surgical Technologies in its sale to Medtronic for $525 million.
- Abby has assisted pro bono clients in seeking tax-exempt status under Section 501(c)(3) and updating corporate bylaws. More recently, Abby represented a victim of human trafficking in obtaining legal immigration status and reuniting her with her young child.