Ropes & Gray Practices
For more information on our robust and diverse practices, please read more on the practices page of our website.
Ropes & Gray attorneys regularly advise leading businesses, financial institutions and other organizations on cutting-edge, high-profile matters around the world. Recent examples of our work include:
- We advised Johnson & Johnson in its $1 billion acquisition of Aragon Pharmaceuticals, Inc., including rights to its second-generation prostate cancer drug ARN-509.
- We represented Sony as global coordinating counsel in multiple litigations and government investigations arising from criminal cyberattacks on certain Sony computer networks.
- We advised the National Football League on the formation of a global strategic partnership with Providence Equity Partners to invest primarily in sports- and entertainment-related media assets.
- We represented cable provider Liberty Global plc in the financing for its $23.3 billion acquisition of Virgin Media.
- We represented SAP America in the first covered business method review trial under the post-grant patent challenge proceedings at the PTAB instituted under the America Invents Act of 2011.
- We represented China Everbright Structured Investment Holdings Ltd. as a member of a buyer consortium that acquired Focus Media Holdings Ltd. for $3.7 billion in the largest-ever going-private deal by a Chinese company. The deal was named “Global M&A Deal of the Year (China Private Equity)” by The American Lawyer’s Global Legal Awards 2014.
- We represented TPG Capital in its acquisition, with Leonard Green & Partners, of J. Crew Group, Inc. for approximately $3 billion.
- We worked with The Nature Conservancy to protect fragile coastal areas of island nations through forgiveness of a portion of the countries’ debt in exchange for conservation measures. The deal was named “Global Pro Bono Deal of the Year (Environmental)” by The American Lawyer’s Global Legal Awards 2014
- We obtained a precedent-setting victory for Harris Associates in the U.S. Supreme Court, which set the standard for determining how “excessive fee” claims against mutual fund advisers under the Investment Company Act of 1940 are litigated.
- We represented Numericable Group and its parent company, Altice S.A., in the financing in connection with its bid to acquire SFR, France’s second-largest telecom operator. The deal was the largest Europe-based leveraged finance deal since 2008. The American Lawyer named it “Global Finance Deal of the Year (Acquisition Finance)” at its Global Legal Awards 2014.
- We represented Centerbridge Partners and Monarch Capital in the $1.4 billion sale of Satélites Mexicanos (SatMex) to Eutelsat. This deal was named “Global M&A Deal of the Year (Latin America/Mexico)” by The American Lawyer’s 2014 Global Legal Awards.