Nameir Abbas joined the data, privacy, and cybersecurity practice in Ropes & Gray’s Washington, DC office in 2021. Nameir focuses his practice on complex data protection matters. His diverse practice includes counseling clients across a range of industries on issues relating to privacy compliance, cybersecurity preparedness, data breach response, and due diligence.
Before joining the firm, Nameir practiced at another large international law firm where he assisted clients with a wide variety of privacy and security issues. Nameir is a Certified Information Privacy Professional, United States (CIPP/US) and Europe (CIPP/E).
- Advised a variety of companies on compliance with privacy laws and regulations such as the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) and the European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), including companies in the logistics, retail, and hospitality industries.*
- Assisted an e-commerce company with the investigation and notification of a global data breach involving payment card data.*
- Counseled an equipment rental company on day-to-day privacy compliance issues.*
- Assisted a large insurance and financial services company in several security incidents involving multiple state attorney general investigations.*
- Advised companies in a wide variety of industries on incident response planning and preparedness, including tabletop exercises.*
*Experience prior to joining Ropes & Gray
- Co-author, “SEC Advances Broad Theory of Required Disclosures of Security Incidents,” Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance (September 9, 2021)
- Co-author, “US Litigation Considerations and Landscape,” The Guide to Cyber Investigations, second edition (2021)
- JD, cum laude, The George Washington University Law School, 2016
- BS (Economics), magna cum laude, American University, 2013
Admissions / Qualifications
- District of Columbia, 2016