Amanda F. Austin
Life sciences clients of all types rely on Amanda Austin to guide them through an array of complex intellectual property transactions occurring at the leading edge of the life sciences industry.
Amanda is a “go-to” transactions advisor for a broad range of clients. Multinational pharmaceutical giants, medical device and biotechnology companies, startups and early-stage enterprises, nonprofit organizations, and academic institutions all turn to her for representation and counsel in transactions critical to their business and mission, including cross-border deals.
Amanda’s practice encompasses the full range of life sciences transactions, including:
- Licensing agreements
- Research and development collaboration agreements
- Strategic commercial partnerships
- Joint ventures
- Co-promotion agreements
- Distribution and manufacturing arrangements
The unique breadth of her client base and experience enables Amanda to provide sophisticated strategic counsel on transactions involving many of the life sciences industry’s most important emerging technologies, including CRISPR, precision medicine, base and gene editing, synthetic biology, and biologics.
Amanda’s experience includes representing or advising:
- Pfizer in its contribution of assets related to allogeneic chimeric antigen receptor T cell (CAR-T) therapy to Allogene Therapeutics, and in Pfizer’s option to acquire AM-Pharma, a private company focused on the development of recombinant human Alkaline Phosphatase (recAP) for the treatment of inflammatory diseases.
- A public university in the sale of a portion of its royalty interest in an orphan drug.
- Ironwood Pharmaceuticals in its commercial licensing agreement with AstraZeneca for the U.S. rights to Zurampic, an FDA-approved treatment for hyperuricemia.
- Beam Therapeutics in connection with its licenses from Editas Medicine and The Broad Institute.
- A leading global biotechnology company in a $300 million joint venture to develop and market biosimilars with a Korea-based company.
- Multiple clients, including a nonprofit institution and a leading pharmaceutical company, with the development of licensing templates for internal use.
- JD, Harvard Law School, 2005
- AB (Government), cum laude, Harvard University, 2002
Admissions / Qualifications
- Massachusetts, 2005
- Legal 500