Chris Agnoli joined Ropes & Gray in 2015 as an associate in the tax and benefits group. Chris has a wide range of experience working on complex UK tax issues. He provides tax advice on a broad range of transactions involving all areas of corporate tax including cross border mergers and acquisitions, private equity and hedge fund structuring, employment tax, financial markets transactions and real estate. His clients have included institutional investors, investment managers, hedge funds, private equity funds, REITs and public companies.
Before joining the firm, Chris spent time on secondment at a leading commodities broker working as part of the internal tax team.
- Acting for Baring Private Equity Asia on its and PAI Partners’ acquisition of World Freight Company International, the global leader in the General Sales and Service Agent market
- Acting for Goldman Sachs, Deutsche Bank and Nordea in connection with the €1.45 billion financing of Nordic Capital’s acquisition of a majority stake in Norway-based Lindorff, one of Europe’s leading providers of debt related administrative services
- Acting for TPG Capital, and its portfolio company Beaver-Visitec, in connection with the acquisition of Malosa Medical, a UK-based medical devices company
- Acting for Metalmark Capital on its acquisition of Premier Research
- Acting for Bain Capital on its purchase of a controlling stake in MKM, the UK’s largest independent builders’ merchant, from 3i and Lloyds Development Capital
- Advising Macquarie Capital in connection with certain facilities made available for the purposes of Liberty Hall Capital Partners’ USD 135 million acquisition of Dunlop Aircraft Tyres Ltd.
- Advising Dutch pension fund APG on its acquisition of a 75 per cent. interest in a joint venture with TH Real Estate, with a combined equity commitment of c.£800 million, to develop the £1 billion 1.7 million sq.ft. St James Centre in Edinburgh, one of the UK’s largest private regeneration projects. Edinburgh St James will comprise 850,000 sq. ft. of retail space, anchored by John Lewis, a 30-screen cinema, a world class W Hotel comprising 214 rooms, up to 250 private apartments, 20 restaurants and 1,600 car parking spaces
- Advising TSG Consumer Partners on its acquisition of a minority stake in BrewDog, a Scottish craft beer company
- Acting for Forensic Risk Alliance and its founders in connection with a capital re-organisation of the business and the subsequent sale of a minority interest in the business to Dunedin LLP
- Advising Liberty Global on the establishment of a of a notes issuance programme by VM Receivables Financing, to fund the purchase of a consumer handset loan receivables from Virgin Media Mobile Finance
- Advising Virgin Media Group on the first ever issuance of receivables finance notes and the UK’s first ever handset securitisation
- Advising TPG Capital in connection with its acquisition of a majority stake in Poundworld
- Advising Bain Capital on the acquisition of TI Automotive for $2.4 billion
- Acting for Smedvig Capital Limited in the sale of Tuskerdirect Limited to ECI Partners LLP
- Advising Marquee Brands LLC on its acquisition of British men’s clothing brand Ben Sherman and its related intellectual property assets from Oxford Industries, Inc.
- Advising GSI Group in connection with the sale of its JK Lasers business to Trumpf GmbH
- Advising Gaw Capital on its acquisition of the units in Elizabeth Bridge Unit Trust, a JPUT owning various investment interests in 151 Buckingham Palace Road, for £256m
- Advising Siguler Guff on its opportunistic UK and European real estate investments with various operating partners
- Advising the Barchester Healthcare group of companies on the sale and leaseback of a £1.46 billion portfolio of 160 care homes in the UK and the associated refinancing of the group's borrowings
- Acting for a sovereign wealth fund on its 50:50 joint venture with Brookfield in relation to the acquisition of Berlin’s Potsdamer Platz, reported to be Germany’s largest real estate transaction for eight years
- Acting for Altice S.A. on the financing for the acquisition by Altice of PT Portugal SGPS, S.A. and certain other entities that make up the Portugal Telecom Group, a leading provider of integrated telecommunication services to residential and corporate customers in Portugal from Oi S.A.
- Acting for UPC Holding B.V. and its subsidiaries in connection with high yield bond issuances including through special purpose vehicles, with the offering proceeds applied to fund term loans under credit facilities
- Acting for KKR Credit Advisors in the private second lien loan financing for Valeo Foods, in connection with private unitranche financing for Spanish residential care home operator SARquavitae and the private unitranche financing for the Casual Dining Group
- Co-Author, “More permanent establishments,” Financial Instruments Tax and Accounting Review (December 2015)
- Co-Author, “A practical approach to the DPT,” Financial Instruments Tax and Accounting Review (June 2015)
- Author, “Salaried members’ and LLPs,” Tax Journal as part of the ‘Draft Finance Bill 2014: points to watch’ feature (February 14, 2014)